I’ve been thinking about joining the WIPpet group for a couple months now. And keep…well, not doing it. So, I figured, why not finally take the plunge on the last day of the month. Part of that is I know if I put it off this week, I’m more likely to put it off for the next month too. I’m not actively writing on a project(since I just finished a first draft last week), but I thought I would share from the WiP I’m currently editing, the second in my series, Healing the Heart.
This is from Chapter 7. Since it’s the 31st, I did 4 paragraphs(3+1=4) . After refusing her offer of help, Melanie follows her patient home from the clinic because she wants to make sure he’ll be okay and unknowingly puts herself right in the middle of some danger.
The boys climbed out of the car and she saw one of them help Mica from the backseat. Then, the three of them walked into the rundown house. Melanie saw at least one broken window. The front door had certainly seen better days. Siding was falling off the house in a few different places. The yard wasn’t taken care of, but she could see a couple small kids playing outside in it.
She couldn’t go up to that house. No matter how much she wanted to convince Mica she could help him, she didn’t think it would be smart to go up there on her own. She just hoped he would be okay here. And she wouldn’t see him again. At least not at the clinic.
She turned her car around and headed back toward the other side of town, her side of town. As she drove back up the street, she saw another car parked on the other side of the street. And someone sitting behind the wheel. She kept her gaze forward, but out of the corner of her eye, she saw him lift a hand as she drove by. And felt a chill go down her spine. Who had that been? Even with a quick glance, she hadn’t recognized him. Had they followed her here from the clinic? Or had they been watching for Mica? Either way, she didn’t feel good about it.
She tried to shake off the uneasy feeling, but it clung with her all the way back to her apartment. She looked over her shoulder as she unlocked her door, but could not see anyone obviously watching her. Still, she didn’t take an easy breath until she was inside and had locked the door behind her again. “What have I got myself into?”
Ok, so that is my first shot at this. Now, for my ROW80 update:
As I said on Sunday, I’ve been spending this week finishing up this month’s goals. On Sunday, I wrote up my to-do lists for each day. And since Monday afternoon have been working on at least the next day’s list. I work my way through each one and if I get through the stuff on it, I move on to the next one. Usually, I end up taking things from one day and moving them to the next. I like when I’m ahead instead.
- Finish edits on western novella, Stained Snow – Finished these yesterday. It’s still about 3.5k too long for a novella, but I’m going to sit it aside for a while then go at it again.
- Finish scene cards for Guarding the Heart – still working on these. I’m through Chapter 11 right now(out of a planned 30). I’ll work more on it today and hopefully get through at least chapter 15.
- Read: Finish Descension, Not Until You Love(the last part of the serial!), and Soulstice(Diana Murdock) – I finished Descension and Not Until You Love. But, I’m only 15% through Soulstice.
- Crochet: Finish Teeny Beanie and family of Monster amigurumi – I finished the Teeny Beanie, but not the monsters. I have the bodies of each done, but need to get some white felt and plastic safety eyes before I can completely finish them.
Since it’s the end of the month, it’s time to evaluate the last month’s goals and make new ones for next month. So, July’s goals were:
Demons Rising: finish 1st draft (about 30k probably) – I did this and it ended up being 37,404 words for the month.
Send out Slow Revenge – Accomplished
Stained Snow: 1st round of edits – Done
Guarding the Heart: finish plotting – not there quite yet.
Read: Finish Not Until You serial by Roni Loren (5 more parts) – Done(loved it! can’t wait for her next book in I think 2 weeks)
Read 6 other books – at least.
Knit: Broken Rib Toque, newborn cardigan, ribbed cable purse – finished all of these
Crochet: Toddler Owl Hat, Teeny Beanie, Baby Monster Amigurimi – finished all except for the monsters
I did pretty good with July’s goals, so not onto August’s:
- Healing the Heart – 2nd round of edits
- Slow Revenge – start editing(if I get it back from CP)
- Finish plotting Guarding the Heart
- Start back stories for next in my series(still title-less)
- Read 8 books
- Knit: Soft Ribs in Green(kid sweater), Boo Baby Cloth, Boo Baby bib
- Crochet: Baby Monster Family, Simple Earflap Hat, Easy Scarf(which I attempted when first learning, and didn’t find that easy)
And for the rest of the week(then I’ll be back to my normal week long goals):
- Guarding the Heart – scene cards
- Healing the Heart – read through
- Read: Finish Soulstice and start Storm Rising(Kenneth Hoss)
- Knit: Body of Soft Ribs sweater
- Crochet: Simple Earflap Hat