I definitely think I like my new way of getting things done. I’m working on my writing goals for the first half of each hour. And during the second half, I’ll work through the other things on my list. And once I’m done with my writing goals, I’ll concentrate on the other t0-do items. Yesterday, doing this, the only thing I didn’t get done was my reading. So, I think I’m going to continue with it for now. At least until it isn’t working for me anymore.
Stepmother-in-law brought this back for us from her recent trip to Iceland.
The kids had Monday off from school(they also had last Friday off). So we decided to all get our eyes checked out. I’ve had to wear glasses since I was about twelve. Husband wears them on occasion, but doesn’t need them all the time. Last year we got the kids’ checked and the girl was a little far-sighted, but they said that often corrects as they grow. And this year hers was pretty much perfect. So was the boy’s. Mine haven’t changed enough to matter. And I just got new ones last year, so I wasn’t worried about it. Husband got news ones, though.
The reason we decided to do this now was because we still had a lot in his HSA through work. Which rolls over at the end of the month, and only so much of it will roll over. Well, he went to use it after our appointments, and it was declined. Looking into it, they’d deactivated all the cards because they’re moving to another company. Well, they weren’t supposed to deactivate them until next week. It would have been really nice to know beforehand. We ended up having to pay out of pocket, and the company is going to reimburse us. But, yeah, it kind of defeats the purpose of the health savings account when you can’t even use it.
Anyway, rant over, and it’s WiPPet Wednesday again! Woohoo!! I’m still working on Stay a Little Longer this morning. So, you get another snippet from that. Some context: They’re still at Jess’s daughter’s birthday party, and Terrall and Mike are talking. They share some similar history, but from different perspectives. Mike’s mother was killed in a drunk driving accident. His father was the one driving. Terrall was involved in a different one. Which is what they’re talking about here. There’s 7 paragraphs(3+2+2) here.
He shook his head. “I hardly drink anymore. An occasional beer, but I won’t get behind the wheel if I’ve had more than that.”
“Figured that. From what I heard from family and neighbors, Dad still drinks. Heavily. And doesn’t always wait for someone to come pick him up. That makes a big difference between him and you.”
A small figure came rushing into the kitchen before Terrall could respond to that. “Daddy, I want more fruit, but the tray’s gone.”
He laughed and lifted her to his side. “I was just refilling it, Alexa,” he said. “This is your mommy’s friend, Terrall,” he said, nodding toward him.
She turned to look at him, seemed to be studying him. Even though she had her father’s darker skin—a lighter shade, though—and his dark hair and eyes, he could see Jess in her, too. “Are you a friend like Fadil is Daddy’s friend?” she asked.
Mike snorted but left Terrall to answer the question himself. Great. “I’d like to be,” he said. “But, that’ll be up to your mama to decide.”
“Smart answer,” Mike said as he set his daughter down and picked up the tray.
Kids can certainly be perceptive. 🙂
Now on to my progress so far this week. This is also the end of Round 1 of RoW80. This post is already pretty long, though, so I’ll have my wrap-up for that tomorrow.
- Primary: Heart of Christmas(BC Security 3.5) –
write back stories , plot summary, and complete Story Toolkit – 4/22 sections of Story Toolkit(some of these sections I’ll have to do at least 2 sheets for because of multiple characters, but I’ll put them all in one section). 3317 words so far this month. 440 words this week.
- Secondary: Still Burning(Hunter Family #4) – Brainstorm –
- Primary: Stay a Little Longer – add 45000 words/finish 38 scenes – 32983 words/45000, 33/38 scenes for the month. 3327 words/4 scenes this week.
- Secondary: Side Projects – 5000 words,
edit Chapter 1 of Patrick & Sarah & Chapter 1 of Tavin & Haiwee, read through 9 chapters of Snow White Twist(there’s actually 10, but I read through chapter 1 in February) – 3863/5000 words so far this month. 514 words this week. have read through 9/9 in Snow White Twist. and I already have one reader lined up for this. If any else would be interested in reading a f/f retelling of Snow White(about 21000 words), let me know. I should have it revised and ready by the end of the month. I’ll be adding 2 more stories to my list, one of which just popped into my head one day and then I saw this article this morning, which is kind of similar to the idea(only my characters will meet when they’re already pregnant).
- Midas’ Daughter – 101 words – Flip had hoped Mr. Midas might one day forget his threats. But, the glares he periodically sent him and the little hints he’d drop, told him that was still not the case. It probably never would be.
- Patrick & Sarah – 174 words – Just a terror, Sarah had said. Nothing more than a bad nightmare. He glanced back toward the bedroom the two boys shared. He couldn’t say why, but he was sure there was a lot more to it than that.
- Tavin & Haiwee – 85 words – Haiwee shot more words at her cousin, and this time Tavin did catch his own name in there. Then, something else as she gestured back to him. *I probably would have written more, but I got sidetracked researching. I did find a search engine for the Shoshoni language, though.
- Roman – 154 words – “Don’t be silly,” she said, and her voice was still soft, still gentle. “We are a family. No matter how we add to it, you and I will always be a family, Roman.
- Primary: Stained Blood – 10 new scenes & apply CP edits to 40 scenes – 6/10 new scenes finished this month. 15/40 scenes edited. 4835 words added this month. 1375 words added this week.
- Secondary: Flames of Renewal(if I get back from CP) – complete CP edits
- In the Moonlight – start revisions
- A-Z posts – draft 24 posts – 5/24 for the month.
- A-Z posts – edit & format 27 posts – Edited 8/27(almost forgot about the theme reveal post) posts. And my theme reveal went live on Monday. A, B, C, D, E, F, & G are scheduled. So, I’ve got through Week 2 ready. I’ll just have to add links back to the previous post before they go live(hopefully I’ll remember).
- Listen: 8 books – 4/8 for the month, 1 this week
King’s Cage(Victoria Aveyard) – Finished this Sunday after posting my check-in. Enjoyed it, but the ending broke my romantic heart. I did see there’s going to be at least 1 more book(I’d thought it was a trilogy, but I guess not).
- Fire(Kristin Cashore) – On Chapter 3(audible has these chapters split up weird. There are more than one in what it says is a chapter. So I’m just doing what’s on top of the screen on my phone). It’s interesting, but I’m almost 3 hours in and it doesn’t feel like a lot’s really happened. I’ll give it at least a little longer.
- Read: 31 books – 20/31 for the month, 3 this week.
Crimson Stain(Jim Fisher) – this is a true crime story about an Amish man who killed his wife not very far from where we live(It happened when I was about 8 years old). Finished this on Sunday.
- Hammer of the Gods(Christina Ochs) – this is book 3 in her Desolate Empire series. I got the boxed set, but I’ve already read the first 2 separately, so I jumped right to this one on my phone. I’ll read it in the between moments. I’m on Chapter 38/166(If I counted right. The chapters are labeled with POV characters’ names instead of numbers).
The Beltane Kiss(Denise D Young) – Started this Saturday night. Finished it Sunday morning.
A Geek Girls Guide to Arsenic(Julie Anne Lindsey) – Started this Monday morning. Finished it Tuesday morning. Loved it. Not sure I’ve ever felt such kinship to a character as I do Mia(particularly the social awkwardness).
- Under Pressure(Lori Foster) – Started this Tuesday afternoon. On page 167/381.
- The Defiant Hero(Suzanne Brockmann) – This is today’s book. Just starting it.
Knit: Georgian Lace Cap – Finished this Tuesday morning. Have 4/4 rounds knitted for the brim. 40/40 rounds knitted for cap lace section. 11/11 for crown decreases.
- Crochet: Cross-over Long DC Hat – Have 18/28 rounds crocheted for hat.
Loom: Ambrosia Love Scarf & Last Minute Slouchy Hat – realized the slouchy hat uses a loom I don’t have, so I’m cutting it off the list.