It’s the end of the month, so time to go through the detritus it’s left me with(ha, yes, I did use that word to fit in the final Just Jot It prompt for the month). It’s been a pretty good month progress-wise. I was able to finish up 2 first drafts, one I’d been working on since May. The other I started halfway through October(and it was just a novella). And I think I’ve found the best way for me to get to everything. I have my main project that I work on every day from 5-7 a.m. Then, I work on a different secondary project from 8-9 a.m. And I have a half hour set aside each for plotting & editing. It seems to be working for now.
And now to look at how I’ve done so far! The month isn’t quite over yet, I will still be reading and working on side projects later this afternoon, but I’ve gotten to the main things for today, so I’m going to write this up for now instead of waiting for tomorrow since my Wednesday posts tend to be long anyway.
Loving the Devil – Outline – I set this aside. It just wasn’t coming together and the characters weren’t really talking to me. May pick it back up some other time
- Playing with Fire – Outline – Still working my way through the Story Toolkit on this. Excited to get started on it.
In the Moonlight – 1st draft – finished this one with 14964 words this month
Crash and Burn – 1st draft – finished this with 16098 words this month
Defending the Heart – 4000 words – 5582/4000 words
- Stay a Little Longer – 4000 words – 2231/4000 words
- Not Meant to Be – 4000 words – 2543/4000 words
- Added: Buried Secrets – 1500 words – 1322/1500 words
- Stained Blood – re-plot & start re-write – still going through the Story Toolkit for this.
- Demons Rising – revisions – didn’t even touch this one yet.
- Midas’ Daughter – get to 8500 words
- Dance with the Devil – get to 28500 words/finish 1st draft – at 28149 right now, but may reach before end of the day. Still have at least 2-3 scenes to finish
- Patrick & Sarah – get to 4275 words – at 4244/4275 words. Could still reach this today.
- Tavin & Haiwee – get to 3550 words – at 3442/3550 words. Could still reach this today.
Roman – get to 4680 words – at 4930/4680 words. What can I say, he’s a lawyer, he’s got a lot of words. 😉
Dougal & Shae – get to 2800 words – at 2876/2800 words.
- Just Jot It January – 30 posts – I know I didn’t do 30. I did all but day 1 and some of the one-liner Wednesday prompts. When I finish this one though, I’ll have 28 post. So, I got pretty close to that initial goal.
A-Z Challenge – plot posts – these are all plotted. Now, to start drafting them.
- RoW80 – stay up to date – pretty much, though I have slacked off a bit on commenting. There’s a handful I almost always comment on, but I need to do better at leaving comments for the others too.
Listen: 8 books – 12/8 books. I’ve apparently gone on a listening binge again. 🙂
- Read: 31 books – If I finish today’s book(and I don’t think I’ll have any trouble doing that), I’ll have 29/31. I set aside 2 that didn’t pull me in.
Knit: Craigiecatt Hat – finished this
Crochet: Giraffe Hat – finished this
Loom: Meadow Moss Headband – started and ripped this out several times and finally just gave up. I’ll try a different loom pattern next month.
- Playing with Fire – finish outline
- Heart of Christmas(BC Security novella) – Brainstorm
- Defending the Heart – add 40000 words/finish 1st draft
- Stay a Little Longer – add 4000 words
- Not Meant to Be – add 4000 words
- Buried Secrets – add 4000 words
- Playing with Fire – add 4000 words
- Midas’ Daughter – add 4000 words
- Stained Blood – re-plot & re-write
- Snow White Twist – fill in [xx] throughout
- Dance with the Devil – get to 30000 words/finish 1st draft
- Fade Away – get to 1300 words
- Patrick & Sarah – get to 4750 words
- Tavin & Haiwee – get to 3950 words
- Roman – get to 5450 words
- Dougal & Shae – get to 3400 words
- A-Z posts: draft
- RoW80: Stay up to date
- Listen: 5 books
- Read: 28 books
- Knitting: Clean Slate hat
- Crochet: Flower Coaster
- Loom: Ambrosia Love Scarf
I feel a little weird acting like business as usual when there’s so much going on out there. And I’m having trouble ordering any of my thoughts on all of it. But, it’s definitely keeping my anxiety up almost constantly. Part of me just wants to shut myself away in fictional worlds, my own and others. But, I know that won’t do a lot of good either. Just my unhealthy coping mechanism at work again.
And along that line, I finished the first draft of Crash and Burn on Friday. It ended up being just a little over 40K. Pretty happy with that since it was supposed to be a novella anyway. I was hoping to have Playing with Fire ready to start writing, but I’m not quite there yet. Hopefully sometime this week, even if it isn’t completely outlined.
I’ve got a good bit done this week:
Write: Target of 10000 between all projects – 12715/10000 words. A really great week for words.
- Crash and Burn – 9440 words – That had him perking up slightly. Jaya was here? He’d extended the invitation, but he wasn’t sure if she’d come or not. He’d thought maybe she decided being with him wasn’t what she wanted after all. That she’d realized it might be too dangerous.
- Defending the Heart – 1072 words – Xavier muttered something in Spanish that Piers wasn’t quite able to make out. He was pretty sure it wasn’t too complimentary to him, though. “You don’t bleed like that from a scratch. Come on, my car’s right here.”
- Stay a Little Longer – 576 words – No one had ever had that kind of faith in him off the football field. But, he didn’t know how to voice how that had always made him feel. Why it had made him act like an asshole so often. It felt too much like a cop-out. And he didn’t want to use it anymore.
- Not Meant to Be – 838 words – “Get your head back on your shoulders and out of your pants,” he muttered as he filled the mug with coffee. *oh, Toby.
- Buried Secrets – 789 words – “A few times a week.” Why was he having so much trouble with this? He was known to have a pretty decent bedside manner. He could talk to an ill or injured patient, help put them at ease. Yet he couldn’t even carry on a casual conversation with a pretty woman.
- Edit: Stained Blood – finish Story Toolkit & outline new scenes – still working through Toolkit. Finished up the romance arc
- Plot: Playing with Fire – Work through Story Toolkit &
explore characters with Just Jot It prompts. Outline if I get that far. – got through the romance arc for this one as well. and have kept up with the prompts:
- Compromise – Corrin & Silas try to find middle ground
- Elusive – Jeremiah tries to balance school & work
- Extraordinary – Jeremiah & Corrin get a little steamy
- Incomplete – Silas & Corrin spend some time together
- Wood/Would – A little slice of after the HEA
- History – Jeremiah tries to convince Corrin she won’t get between him & Silas
- Side Projects: Add another 2000 words – 1616/2000 words
- Midas’ Daughter – 516 words – Put her away, like she was just some prized toy to place on a shelf then forget about. Big surprise some spoiled rich girl would think that way. “Okay, Dad. I’ll get it done.” *oh, you’ll figure it out, Flip. 😉
- Dance with the Devil – 514 words – “We had absolutely nothing to do with that.” I knew they’d never believe it. But, I had to keep them talking. Keep him from putting a bullet in Hawk’s head right in front of me. *things aren’t looking too good for these two right now.
- Fade Away – 78 words – Once I had paid for my groceries, I hurried out to my car, a bag in each hand. And, of course, almost as soon as I stepped outside, it started pouring down rain. Just my luck. I dropped the groceries into my trunk and slammed the lid. By the time I climbed into my car, there was no wringing my clothes out. *I have only a very vague idea where this one is going.
- Patrick & Sarah – 67 words – His eyes twinkled as she looked back up at him. “I guess you will have to open it to find out.”
- Tavin & Haiwee – 61 words – The other men riding with Tavin made a strange sound, but her attention was still on Tavin. “I am just standing here.”
- Roman – 209 words – “They may have let worse than that happen. If she knows she’s secure here, it will stop being an issue. We just have to let her be for a while.”
- Dougal & Shae – 171 words – Her sister was right. That fight at the bar could have been a lot worse. A lot worse than having a man make her feel something she wasn’t sure she wanted to.
Listen: It Had to Be Them(Tamra Baumann) & Midnight Betrayal(Melinda Leigh) – finished both of these, listened to He Can Fall(Melinda Leigh) and enjoyed and almost through with Changeless(Gail Carriger) which I’m really enjoying.
Loud is How I Love You(Mercy Brown), Love Ignites(Jaci Burton), Just a Girl(Ellie Cahill), Star Seers(Lindsay Buroker), Lucky Streak(Carly Phillips), All I Want(Jill Shalvis), & Idol(Kristen Callihan) – I really enjoyed Love is How I Love You, Love Ignites, and Just a Girl. Loved Star Seers, liked Lucky Streak better than the first book in the trilogy, but the climax felt kind of, well, anti-climatic. And I really enjoyed All I Want. Will be starting Idol today.
Crochet: Giraffe Hat – finished this
- Loom: Meadow Moss Headband – started and ripped this out a couple times. Need to restart it again.
A to Z Challenge: Plot – N-Z posts – finished plotting all of these. Now to start drafting them.
Mostly blue and green. I always like to see that. Now, for next week’s goals. At least for the rest of January. Will be adding more at the mid-week check-in for the beginning of February(the top ones won’t be affected by that).
- Write: Shoot for 10000 between all projects
- Edit: Stained Blood – finish Story Toolkit & outline new scenes
- Plot: Playing with Fire – finish Story Toolkit, the last 2 Just Jot It January prompts, and outline if I can
- Side Projects: Add 1500 words(since I’m moving Midas’ Daughter up under the other writing for now)
- Listen: Changeless(Gail Carriger), Be Mine Forever(Marina Adair), The Sapphire Brooch(Katherine Lowry Logan)
- Read: Finish Idol(Kristen Callihan), Mixed Signals(Alyssa Cole), Act Like It(Lucy Parker), & Engaging the Bachelor(Cathryn Fox)
- Loom: Meadow Moss Headband
- A to Z Challenge: Draft – Posts A-Z
Welcome back for another visit with the Weekend Writing Warriors, the blog hop for anyone who loves to write. Last week, I left Devil refusing to take any pain medication after he’d been beat up pretty bad. A lot were wondering why he wouldn’t just take them, so here’s a little look into what’s going on his head. This picks up right after last week’s:
I started to laugh, but it ended in a groan, and I fell back against the bed.
“Take the damn pills,” she said, repeating Bull’s words. “I’ll dole them out to you on a schedule if it makes you feel better, but either way, you aren’t your brother. Taking them when needed isn’t what turns you into an addict.”
I still hesitated. I might not be my brother, but there was no way to know that I didn’t have that same thing in me that had made him an addict. Since the first time Andy had gone down that path, I’d avoided taking anything I didn’t have to.
But, Medusa held the pills out until I finally took them from her hand. I still hesitated, but when she didn’t move away, I set them in my mouth and downed them with the water she held out to me, too.
“That’s a good boy.”
I’m getting really close to finishing this story. On the final battle, so just need to get through that and the end. But, I’ll keep posting from this one at least through March, since I’ll be writing the next one for the A-Z Challenge in April.