I thought I was going to take today off from writing any blog posts. Then, I remembered it was the end of Round 1 of RoW80 today. Which means it’s time to look back at how I did for the round. I had my mid-week check-in yesterday, so you can read that if you want to see how I did for the first half of this week. I’ll still have my Sunday check-in, too, even though RoW80 is now on break.
I’m pretty sure I’ve changed my goals once or twice during the round(pretty typical for me), so I’ll add in other things I got done if they aren’t on the list.
Protecting the Heart(BC Security #2) – this probably won’t be til near end of the round. – plotted this & one other story. 7313 words of plotting(that’s mostly character back story)
- Love Who You Love(Kurztown #3) – finish 1st draft – not quite there. But, I have written 43614 words on it this round. May not finish before the end of the month, but probably early next month at least.
By the Gun – finish 1st draft – not even close. Keep getting snagged with this one. May end up setting aside. Have added 16799 to it.
Protecting the Heart – write 20k – not quite there, either. Have added 7389 to it.
- Also worked on Ready When You Are(21219 words) & Paint Me a Picture(1o,274 words),
Flames of Retribution – Revise to send to CP – have this revised and waiting to be sent.
- My Way to You – Revise to send to CP
– Did 1st revisions then set aside until I get caught up with ones that need to be sent
- Flames of Recompense – Organize to revise – didn’t even start on this.
- I also got Stained Snow back from beta reader and made edits & published it. And got Stained by Ashes back from CP, edited & sent it to betas. Already have it back from 1, will wait until I get it back from the other beta before I start revising. And got Healing the Heart back from CP. I’ve just started working on those edits.
Listen to 6 audiobooks – 14/6 audiobooks. Audible had sales. What can I say?
- Read 75 books – 62/75 books. Fell a little behind in my reading.
- Read 3 craft/research books – Just about there with this. Have about 15% left to read in the third.
Knit: 3 projects – 3/3
- Crochet: 3 projects – 1/3
- Loom: 3 projects – 1/3
Overall it’s been a pretty great round. I’m still trying to find the best way to fit in everything I want to get done. That’s probably never going to happen, though. I’ll have my monthly recap sometime next week and goals for next round up sometime before it starts on 4/4.
Yesterday in church, it was announced that they were collecting knit and crochet hats. Someone said they were giving them to the school for kids who need hats. The paper in the bulletin, however, said they’re collecting them to send to a city mission with Thanksgiving boxes. Either way, I knew I had a bunch of hats I’ve made over the last few years. So after we were home, I started going through all my projects. I was right. There are a lot.
In total, I found 62 hats.
I sorted through them in a couple different ways, because apparently I’m a dork. First, I seperated the Knit from crochet hats. There were 37 knit hats. And 25 crochet hats.
3 of the knit hats and 9 of the crochet hats were characters or animals. 16 of the knitted ones and 14 crocheted were winter hats. 23 Knit and 11 crochet were baby hats. Some of these were really small, so I left them out of what I’ll send in. In the end, I had 43 hats to donate.
February may be the shortest month of the year, but I still feel like I got a good bit done(even if I did change my goals more than once). I’ll get to that in a little bit.
Yesterday, I spent a good chunk of the afternoon shoveling snow. We had so much snow and ice on our roof that our front door didn’t want to close. Not a good sign. So, my husband climbed up on the roof and started shoveling the snow off. I was down below, moving it all off the sidewalk/porch. Though I shouldn’t say all. I ended up just making a path through so we could get to the door. It still took about 3 hours to get it all done. My back and shoulders are definitely feeling it today. I figure I’ll take some time each day this week to move more of it of the sidewalk and open the path up a bit more. It’s supposed to be warmer all week too, so that may help melt some of it.
Flames of Recompense – add 15k words – did this. It’s sitting at just over 24k right now.
The Choice – Fix fragments & polish. Send to beta readers if I can finish this & get them lined up. – got this all cleaned up. Still need to find beta readers. If you’re interested, I wrote up a quick summary Friday.
Buried Secrets – Outline – this is outlined. It will be first on 2016’s ‘to-draft’ list. Yeah, that’s how far out my plotting is. Too many ideas, not enough time.
Take Me Under(short story) – finish first draft – just finished this morning. It’s sitting at just under 2500 words. Planning to start revisions next weekend and may end up adding more words then.
Read: Queen of the Tearling, The Vampire Exclusive(Julie Glover), & Marine for Hire(Tawna Fenske) – Read and enjoyed all of these. Also read: Nights with Him(Lauren Blakely), Ill-Times Entanglements(Kassandra Lamb), & Come a Little Bit Closer(Bella Andre). Loved these too.
Read: Writing Fight Scenes – Finished this.
- Knit: Faux Crochet Stole – Finish – this is the only thing I didn’t finish, so I’ll be moving it to March’s list.
The Choice – work through revisions per CP’s notes & send to beta readers
- Stained by Ashes – work through my 2nd round revision notes & send to CP
- Gilbert, Co #3 – first read through(if have time)
Outline: Brann’s Story(Flames 5.5) & Denise’s Story(Gilbert, CO #5) through character work
I did not get much from this list done. However, I did write over 43k words. 2300 of that was revisions for The Choice. Just over 24k was on Flames of Recompense. 4800 was in plotting. And over 12k was on short stories. I also finished outlining a stand alone novel(hopefully. A lot of my series have started this way).
Read 21 books – 24/21
Listen: Don’t Judge a Girl By Her Cover(Ally Carter) – this and The Selection(Kiera Cass) & Lick(Kylie Scott). Also about halfway through Snow Like Ashes(Sara Raasch)
Read: A Lawyer’s Primer for Writers(Shaun Kaufman & Colleen Collins) – finished this and Writing Fight Scenes(Rayne Hall)
- Knit: Baby Doll Dress, Cap with Little Beaded Flowers, & Faux Crochet Stole – finished 2 of these. Still working through the Stole though.
Crochet: Love is Cold Ear Warmer & Broomstick Lace Hat – finished both of these.
I didn’t do everything that I’d originally had planned, but I did still make a good bit of progress, especially once I settled back into my normal way of doing things. There’s something to be said for mixing things up, but sometimes you just have to stick with what works for you.
For next month:
- Flames of Recompense – finish first draft
- The Choice – Send to Betas
- Healing the Heart – Read through for fragments before sending to CP
- Stained by Ashes – Finish Second round of revisions & possibly send to CP
- Take Me Under – Revise
- Western Hearts – Outline
- By the Gun – Brainstorm
Note: These are both old ideas, one I only started years ago and the other I wrote a probably crappy first draft. I don’t actually have those drafts, so I’ll be starting these from scratch.
- Listen: Snow Like Ashes
- Read: 21 books
- Read: Dialogue- A Busy Writer’s Guide(Marcy Kennedy)
- Knitting: Faux Crochet Stole, Bunny Hat, Simple Cable Scarf, & Schooner Hat
- Crochet: Bunny Basket, Chocolate Bunny, Easter Basket
We’ll see if I actually stick to this month’s plan. For this week, my goals are:
- Flames of Recompense – get to 39000 words
- Healing the Heart – Fix Fragments
- Western Hearts – Brainstorming
- Take Me Under – Revise
- Read: Oaths of Blood(S.M. Reine), Unmasked Alloy(Becca J Campbell), Pulled(Becca J. Campbell), If I Stay(Tamara Morgan), & Tell Me When(Stina Lindenblatt)
- Read – Dialogue(A Busy Writer’s Guide) – 25%
- Knit: Faux Crochet Stole
The beginning of Daylight Savings Time always seems to go more smoothly, at least for me. I know they say we lose an hour. It also means my kids tend to sleep just a little later. Of course, getting them to go to bed at the “right” time might be a little more difficult. Other than that, I don’t usually notice a difference. Of course, we forgot to change the clocks last night. I barely stayed awake through the girl reading her book before bed(it was only 7). Put kids to bed, came out, and laid on the couch. Woke up at 10:30 and didn’t feel like bothering with the clocks, so just went to bed.
- Stained Snow – Re-outline and re/write 12 scenes – I have 11 scenes done. Goal almost met. Although 2 of those are actually the same scene. I was trying it out from 2 different POVs. I think if I keep either it will be the second one(although I’m not sure the scene is needed at all)
- Slow Revenge – Make changes to Chapters 12 & 13 – I got another 3 chapters back from my reader Thursday and I’m through Chapter 14
- Read: Adore Me, Evensong(Krista Walsh), Knights of Rilch(Rachel O’Laughlin), & The Archived(Victoria Schwab) finished Adore Me, Evensong, and Knights of Rilch(not sure I can even express how much I loved). Haven’t gotten to The Archived yet. Will probably start it today.
- Read: 25% of How to Write a Dick(Colleen Collins & Shaun Kaufman) – Done. Actually at 34%.
- Crochet: Baby Pom Pom Hat – Done
- Knit: Storybook Baby Hoodie – I have the bottom and right front side done. Hoping to work on the back today, then will have the left side, sleeves, and hood to do.
It’s been a pretty decent week even though I overestimated what I could get done at the beginning of the week. But, I got pretty well caught up during the second half. Next week’s goals:
- Stained Snow: Write/rewrite 13 scenes
- Slow Revenge: Edit through Chapter 16(more if I get them back)
- Read: The Archived, Soul Avenged(Keri Lake), and Losing It(Cora Carmack)
- Read: How to Write a Dick – Get to 50%
- Knit: Storybook Baby Hoodie
The weather that is. I feel like my writing is heating up on the other hand. I finished a scene I’d been dreading because of what happens. But, it plays an important part not just in this story but also to set up another character’s story. I already know a good bit of her story even though it’s a couple down the line in this series. And I have another dreaded scene coming up as I head toward the climax. I’ll probably get to it tomorrow, or at least start it tomorrow.
I’m glad for the cool down. I got a text from my husband Friday wanting to know if I wanted to work the gate up at the racetrack yesterday. It’s a local track and he works for the rescue and clean up crew on race nights. They needed someone to work the gate for the pit, and I didn’t really have any excuse not to. It wasn’t too bad really. There were a few boring moments, particularly the last hour before I clocked out. I basically just sat there, tearing off stubs for the pit passes and making sure the people who tried to go through had the right wristband and ticket. But, it gave me a chance to do some people watching(and character sketching in my head) and block out some upcoming scenes for my WiP. And it got me out of the house. Plus I was able to watch the last couple races and even got to see a fight.
·Demons Rising: write 10000 words – Done! Actually managed 10552 for the week. I’ve written through chapter 23(of 30 planned) and have at least 10 more scenes to go. I may finish this week, but should certainly be done by the end of the month.
·find readers for Slow Revenge – I’ve found one and have sent her the first five chapters.
·Guarding the Heart: novel notebook – finished this on Thursday.
·Read: Not Until You Surrender (Roni Loren) – read this on Tuesday then read The Selkie Enchantress by Sophie Moss and The Disappearing Girl by Heather Topham Wood. I may have my goal of 100 books for the year finished by the end of the month. Shouldn’t be difficult as I only have 1 more book to read to reach this goal. So, I’ll probably be raising it.
·Knit: finish newborn cardigan: Done!
·Crochet: finish toddler owl hat: Done!
I actually met all of my goals this week. So for next week’s goals:
- Write 12,500 words(or finish 1st draft)
- Guarding the Heart: scene cards – major scenes/turning points
- Read: Not Until You Believe & Wake Me When the Sun Goes Down(Lisa Olsen)
- Knit: Ribbed Cable Purse
- Crochet: Teeny Beanie