Another Sunday, another hop with the Weekend Writing Warriors, the blog hop for anyone who loves to write. I have another snippet from Into the Sun for you. 8 lines today, picking up right where last week’s left off.
The man in the middle just looked me up and down and smirked.
“No need to worry, son, we’re on our way out. We don’t bite.”
My stomach had twisted up as soon as he said son. And I couldn’t rip my gaze from his. A look in the man’s eyes shifted then, his eyebrows lowering. “You okay, son? You need help or anything?”
Come back next week if you want to know what happens next. 🙂
And now for my RoW80 update:
Not great. I was doing pretty good at the beginning of the week. Even got in two 4k days. Then…it’s like the words dried up. I’ve struggled with 1 scene for 2 days. This is not like me at all. So, I decided to set it aside until Monday. I know what needs to happen, I’m not really blocked. I just can’t seem to focus enough to get the words out. I’m used to some of my other characters who practically shout at me to get their stories written. These two would rather shout at each other, it seems(which will happen if I can ever get past this scene).
First Choice, Second Chance – line up proofreading & cover art – I have the cover. Doing the cover reveal tomorrow, so if anyone wants to help(either posting on your blog or just sharing my post when it goes out too), I’d appreciate it.
- Guarding the Heart – draft through Chapter 19 – see above. I didn’t even get through Chapter 15. I did manage to add over 13000 words to it, though.
- Into the Sun – keep working toward finishing – I’ve added almost 600 words since last week’s post. Hoping to add more today.
Read: Super Structure(James Scott Bell) – read through first 1/3
Read: Soul Resurrected(Keri Lake), Sweet Seduction(box set & may not read all in it), & The Murder Complex(Lindsay Cummings)– Really enjoyed Soul Resurrected & The Murder Complex. Only read about 4(out of I think 13) stories in Sweet Seduction. Loved Roni Loren’s Wanderlust. Also read Trust the Focus(Megan Erickson). Loved it! And reading Second Chance Summer(Jill Shalvis) right now.
- Knit: Dino Hat – finish – yeah, no. I got a few of the spikes done and sewn onto the hat(doing it as I go, so I know how many I need). About halfway through, then just the braids to attach to the ear flaps.
- Crochet: Amazing Grace Blissful Beanie – I’ll start this once I finish the other hat.
RoW80 Sponsor Post – Submit – done
And for the next week:
- Guarding the Heart: try to get back on track. Decide if I’m going to keep with it or not.
- Into the Sun: keep trying to finish. I at least know where I want to go with it.
- Read: Super Structure: get 2/3 through
- Read: Second Chance Summer & Go With Me(Elyssa Patrick)
- Knit: Dino Cap – FINISH
Welcome back to Weekend Writing Warriors, the hop for anyone who likes to write. I’m continuing with my novella, Into the Sun, and have 10 sentences from the next scene. Trace has left home and has just pulled in to a rest stop and sees a couple other motorcycles(if I ever just say ‘bikes’, you can probably assume this is what I mean) in the parking lot.
Just as I reached the building, three men pushed out through the door. I took a step back, trying to stay out of their way. If they were the owners of those bikes, I was right about them being serious bikers. Two of them were very large, heavily muscled, their arms straining against the shirts under their vests. The third walked between them. He wasn’t scrawny by any means, but his build was lankier, like mine.
I must have made some sort of noise because all three turned to look toward me. The two on the outside looked like they were ready to take me on if I presented a danger. I could have reassured them about that. I’d never even held a knife that wasn’t meant to cut through steak or a box.
Did Trace walk into some trouble? Or could he have the wrong idea about these guys? Next week, I plan to pick up right after this, so check back if you want to find out. In the meantime, check out the other participants:
And now for my RoW80 summary. I ended up doing fairly well by the end of the week. Finished beta edits on First Choice, Second Chance. And added almost 11k to Guarding the Heart. So, progress. Yay! As I mentioned in Wednesday’s post, I ended up reorganizing my projects, and therefore my goals.
Guarding the Heart – finish through Chapter 10(on Chapter 5 right now) – I got through Chapter 9, which fit my revised plan. I’m counting that as done. I wrote over 3k both Thursday & Friday.
First Choice, Second Chance – beta edits – finished these Wednesday morning.
Ready When You Are – Outline – finished this Tuesday
Jessica’s Story – Brainstorm – setting this aside until I get to that group of stories
- Into the Sun – 1st draft – Added 243 words yesterday. Hoping to get more today. Won’t finish the first draft though.
Everything Between Us(Mila Ferrera), Get a Clue(Jill Shalvis), Call on Me(Roni Loren), & Standing Stones(Beth Camp) – Loved Call on Me. Not surprising since I’ve loved all her other books as well. Couldn’t get into Standing Stones, but read Damsel Distressed(Kelsey Macke) and enjoyed it(even if it had me crying at about 25% in. I’m an emotional reader). Started Soul Resurrected(Keri Lake) yesterday morning.
- Knit: Dino Cap – Have the actual hat finished. I just have to make the spikes & braids and attach them.
- RoW80 Sponsor Post(forgot to include this on Monday) – Have this drafted and read through. Revise, proofread, and then submitting it, hopefully today.
And goals for next week:
- First Choice, Second Chance – line up proofreading & cover art
- Guarding the Heart – draft through Chapter 19
- Into the Sun – keep working toward finishing
- Read: Super Structure(James Scott Bell) – read through first 1/3
- Read: Soul Resurrected(Keri Lake), Sweet Seduction(box set & may not read all in it), & The Murder Complex(Lindsay Cummings)
- Knit: Dino Hat – finish
- Crochet: Amazing Grace Blissful Beanie
- RoW80 Sponsor Post – Submit
Coming back for another week of Weekend Writing Warriors. Last week I promised the next line(+more), so here is the next 10 sentences:
“He humiliated me,” I said. “He hit me.”
“He took care of you.” It felt like she spit the words at my feet.
“He did his best to destroy me and you too. That man is not my father.”
“How do you know yours is any better?”
And there it was, the truth she never wanted to talk about. The truth I learned at fifteen that caused my stepfather’s treatment to only get harsher.
“He couldn’t be much worse.”
Next week, I should have one more snippet from this scene then probably moving on to the next.
Yesterday the husband and I rode in a memorial ride for a fallen firefighter. Despite the fact it was raining. There wasn’t a large turnout. Last year there was about 200 bikes. This year: about 15. Still, after a long week with the kids, it was nice to be on the motorcycle. Never would have thought I’d find that relaxing.
And for anyone coming to check my weekly summary(even though RoW80 is on break for the next week):
- Burning Bright: finish 1st draft(will mean writing at least 4 scenes a day. And the round ends Thursday, so won’t get there by then) – this didn’t happen. I still have 10 scenes left to write. I did write 11,772 words on it. Hopefully I’ll finish this week, though we’ll be camping most of that time.
Kelan’s Story: finish back stories(and try to come up with title) – I did finish the back stories. Did 1800 words of plotting. Still need to come up with a title
- Into the Sun: get to 16k words – Probably not going to happen either. I only added 178 on Saturday. Hoping to get more than that today.
Not making out goals for next week. Will try to work when I can. Probably before kids wake up in the morning. Some outlining work in my notebook. Lots of reading, I’m sure. And some relaxing, of course(though, that’s where the reading comes in). Of course, it’s supposed to rain, so we’ll probably be in the cabin/Dad’s RV most of the time.
This is my first time joining in with the Weekend Writing Warriors. I usually post with the WiPPet group on Wednesdays, but figured I’d join in with this one, too. Here, I’ll be sharing from a project I’ve been working on over weekends since about April. Into the Sun started as a short story, but it’s looking like it may be more of a novella. I have 9 sentences for my initiation post from pretty close to the beginning of it.
“Trace,” she called out to me, “you don’t have to do this.” But, I did. She knew I did. “Your father-” My head jerked up at that one, finally looking at her. Another day, the anxiety in her eyes, the fading bruise on her cheek, the way she hung back would have made me want to comfort her. “Don’t call him that. Don’t you ever dare call him that again, Mom.” “He raised you,” she insisted, her gaze darting out into the yard before coming back to me.
I wanted to share the next line, but that’d break the rules. So, come back next week, and hopefully I’ll share it with you. Also, thinking of merging this and my Sunday RoW80 check-ins(with the check-in after the excerpt, of course). Or wondering if I should just keep them separate. Any opinions on that?