Friday night, after my husband got home, we went to a graduation party. Pretty sure this is the last one for the year(thought that at the one we went to last month, too). But, since school starts in a little over a week, it’s likely true this time. While we were there, it started raining. No big deal, since it was just a sprinkle. And it was hot, so it felt kind of good. Then, it just started pouring. So, we all ran under the tents and huddled there while it thundered and lightning-ed and poured down. For probably about half an hour. After that, the field was pretty much a huge mud puddle. So, the kids(and the not-so-much-kids) ended up getting rather muddy. We were afraid the truck might not make it back up the hill when we left though.
Then, yesterday morning we went up to Ihop for breakfast(seriously love their strawberry & banana pancakes). This is the second time we’ve gone there since they opened at the end of May. After a couple months, you can finally get in there without the long wait times. Then, we went and looked at a new motorcycle. But, since they want twice a month what we’re paying now and we’re coming up on the time of year when husband’s unemployed, we decided to wait on that. Yesterday afternoon, we headed to my sister’s, where we were having a surprise party for my mom’s 60th birthday. Her birthday is actually next weekend, but we had it a little early. And she was surprised Especially when she saw my aunt Marcia* who she hasn’t seen in I think 9 years(at my oldest sister’s wedding). After that, we decided to head out to the local county fair, since we were close and weren’t sure if we’d be able to make it down during the week. Checked out a few of the animals, got some fair food and ice cream(the 4-H stand by the dairy barns has the best ice cream there). Then, we headed out. I used to enjoy spending days there, but anymore there’s just too many people for me to handle.
*Technically not my aunt any more. She was my dad’s brother’s first wife, but they’ve been divorced probably close to thirty years. But, we still call her aunt.
This week has gone pretty well, goal-wise. got all the chapters back for Stained by Ashes, and I’m fairly close to finishing up the edits on that. Then, the final run-through, and it will be ready to go. Got some words written, though not on all my projects. But, I did finish up one of them. So, that’s something at least. Progress was made on plotting as well. So, like I said a good week.
Write 5000 wordsbetween 5 projects – 5952 words between 2 projects
- Protecting the Heart – 3059 words & finished 1st draft – “Then, you’re in the same position as the rest of us poor saps. Thank goodness the women we love take pity on us for falling short.”
- Shed Some Light – 2893 words – “Give him a little time, Tereza. He’ll come around.”She just wished she could believe he was right.
Stained by Ashes – finish revising Chapter 19 and any more I get back this week. – yep. I’m on the next to the last chapter. Like I said, I have the rest of the notes back from my second beta reader, and I’m adding more to the final showdown per her suggestions. I’ve added 493 words to this. Healing the Heart – finish rewrites– finished these between chapters of SbA. Ended up cutting 1875 words. Now, I just have to do a clean-up before it goes to beta readers. So, if anyone is interested in betaing this(might help if you’ve read Duty to Protect but not completely necessary) let me know.
- Guarding the Heart – layer in world building details – still haven’t touched this. Not looking likely for this month.
Defending the Heart – finish Piers’ back story, start Spenser’s – I did finish this! Didn’t start Spenser’s though. That will be for this week. I also wrote a piece yesterday involving the two of these. Not sure if it happens before Defending the Heart starts or near the beginning. Side Projects – add 2500 words –decided to dial this back to 2000 again. But, I did end up getting 2224 words between all 5 projects. Also revised and polished another short story. Going to do a final read-through of it next weekend before submitting it.
- Dance with the Devil – 782 words – He looked over at me then, his eyes glazed over. This wasn’t the boy I’d known, or the man who’d brought me into the fold here. This was something else entirely. Almost like he’d been possessed. I took a staggering step back from him, but he blinked and that look was gone from his face. He looked at me, and I swore that was anguish that came into his eyes.
- Snow White Twist – 982 words – No. She couldn’t do it. She’d just have to keep her distance.
- Patrick & Sarah – 181 words – He could not imagine how it had to be for her, raising two boys with no man in the picture. *This takes place in the mid/late 1860s, to give some context to his thinking.
- Tavin & Haiwee – 134 words – But, the girl just smiled at him. It didn’t look particularly grateful. Brighter than that, like she knew a joke he wasn’t privy to
- Roman – 147 words – “We’re breaking apart, and me going back home is just going to be the hammer blow that shatters everything.”
- Midas’ Daughter – Revised & polished(no official word count, but I added over 100 while revising & cut around 50 while polishing) – Pretty to look at. Like she was some kind of golden statue. That was exactly what her father wanted to make her into. It didn’t matter at all what she wanted
Read: Writing Vivid Characters – 75%– I’m up to 77% on this. Listen: Targeted(Kendra Elliot) & In His Shadow(Tiffany Snow)– finished both of these(shared my feelings on Wednesday) and also finished A Dark Mind(T.R. Ragan). Which was really disturbing, but I still really enjoyed it.
Finish Virtually Yours, Try with Me(Elyssa Patrick), Changing His Game(Megan Erickson), Patterns in the Dark(Lindsay Buroker), The Walls Around Us(Nova Ren Suma), Once in a Lifetime(Jill Shalvis), & the Broken Hearts’ Society of Suite 17C(LeighAnn Kopans) I finished all of these. Loved Changing his Game and Patterns in the Dark. Enjoyed The Walls Around Us, though it was definitely a different read. Really enjoyed Once in a Lifetime. Just started The Broken Hearts’ Society of Suite 17C.
See? I said it was a pretty good week!
- Write 5000 words on any of 4 projects
- Stained by Ashes – finish beta edits
- Healing the Heart – Polish
- Guarding the Heart – layer in world building details
- Defending the Heart – write Spenser’s back story, start plot summaries
- Side projects – add 2000 words
- Submit Midas’ Daughter
- Read: Writing Vivid Characters – 90%
- Read: The Broken Hearts’ Society of Suite 17C(LeighAnn Kopans), Hope Smolders(Jaci Burton), Far Too Tempting(Lauren Blakely), Daring Miss Danvers(Vivienne Lorret), Grimm Consequences(Kate Serine), Snake Heart(Lindsay Buroker), & Radio Silence(Alyssa Cole)