Today is the kids’ last day of school. And they actually only have half a day. I’m not quite sure what summer vacation will mean for my productivity, but I’m hoping to still have some. The kids are pretty independent so it may not change too much, though I’m sure it will slow down a little when I don’t have the house to myself.
It’s been a pretty good first half of the week, though it didn’t start great. Sunday night something was bothering my stomach, and I ended up skipping dinner. Woke up Monday morning around 1 or so and couldn’t get back to sleep. Still wasn’t feeling great, but thought that also might be because I hadn’t eaten anything in over 12 hours. So, I had some crackers with my coffee and that seemed to settle my stomach, though I did feel off most of the day. Still, I got stuff done. May be a good thing that I’d already planned to focus on plotting for the day. Tuesday I felt back to normal, and it was a really good writing day.
I’ve basically been writing along with the JuNoWriMo sprints over on Twitter. Using the times between them to get some other stuff done. Well, except for yesterday. There were several hours in the morning when no sprints were happening. And I got basically everything else done, so I wrote even without any sprints. But, this seems to be working. At least for this month(since you know, no more junowrimo in July). 😉
But, now it’s Wednesday(Ha! tricked you!-as my son likes to say-I’m actually writing this Tuesday night), so it’s time to share another snippet with you. I’m working on By the Gun today, so I’ve got a snippet from that(not sure I’ve shared from this one before). This is a western I first started writing maybe 15 years ago(maybe not quite that long, but probably close). I’ve had some trouble getting this story to come together, but I think I just need to keep reminding myself, it is not a romance, so it’s not going to follow the same path mine usually do. That seems to be working for now. Anyway, today I have 7 paragraphs(simple math, just going with today’s date). Luke, his oldest son, and his brother-in-law and some other men(only Luke & the brother-in-law are in this scene) are driving cattle to the railroad. Both of the men woke up in the night and are talking about what is keeping them up.
Luke winced a little at the reminder. He’d been lucky Varick’s bullets hadn’t ended him. He’d remained on his feet at the end of the battle, but the loss of blood had put him down for a few days. He’d kept infection at bay by some miracle, though and had recovered. By the time he’d gotten on his feet again, Varick’s son had left town searching for him. He’d spent a few more weeks recovering at Diego’s ranch before heading back to his own.
That was when he’d put his guns away and started living simply as a rancher. He was afraid not too many more of those days were ahead of him.
“He’s dead,” Luke said, not completely sure if he was reminding himself or Diego more. “No matter how much he haunts me, he can’t hurt me or those I love.”
“His son is not. He’s still out there somewhere. And no matter that more than seventeen years have passed, he’ll still want your blood.”
Luke knew all that. He didn’t need Diego reminding him. “He hasn’t found me in all this time. I find it hard to believe he would now.”
“Unless that neighbor of yours starts spreading word the gunfighter, Lucas Riordan Tierney is hidden away up in Acoma. They will come out of the woodwork, hermano.”
Maybe that’s what was really haunting him. The fact that his past was coming back and his family may very well be in its cross-hairs.
Just how prophetic will that thought be? That’s what I’m writing now, and let’s just say, it’s very disturbing being in the antagonist’s head.
Now, on to this week’s progress so far:
- High on Your Love –
Back stories, Plot summaries, Story Toolkit, Outline – Got Morgan’s(1084 words), Anna’s(1037 words) & Kacy’s(727 words) typed up. Wrote plot summaries.
- Jayla & Carisa – Plot summaries, Story Toolkit, Outline –
- Heart of Christmas(BC Security #3.5) – Add 8000 words –
- Still Burning(Hunter Family #4) – Add 10000 words – 4429/10000 words, 2309 words this week
- And just maybe it would take her mind off this clusterfuck of emotions she couldn’t seem to set straight.
- Not Meant to Be(Gilbert, Co #6) – Add 10000 words or finish 1st draft – 3096/10000 words
- By the Gun – Add 8000 words – 482/8000 words
- Side Projects – Add 9000 words between them – 3070/9000 words, 1710 words this week
- Midas’ Daughter – 347 words – Calla shook her head. That wasn’t true. It couldn’t be. “He doesn’t even like me. He barely looks at me.” *just keep telling yourself that, Calla 😉
- Sean & Braeden – 354 words – He opened the door and stepped inside, getting ready to call out. But, he was stopped by the sound of a familiar voice coming from the front parlor. One he hadn’t heard much on in the last couple years. 😀
- Mike & Fadil – 336 words – “You’ve been mooning,” Jaspar said. “Please tell me you at least got his number.” *nosy bosses 😉
- Patrick & Sarah – 268 words – The boy wrinkled his nose. “I don’t think she likes him. He tries to tell her what she should do, with us and for a job.” He leaned closer to Patrick and lowered his voice. “I don’t like him either. He’s not nice like you.” *Aw, I’m loving writing Will as a young boy. 🙂
- Dougal & Shae – 405 words – Donovan grinned and clapped him on the shoulder. “Good man. Can’t wait to see you there.” Oh, Donovan. Your sister is not going to thank you for this. Not yet, at least. 😉
- Stained Blood – beta edits – edited Chapter 1/26(counting the epilogue as a chapter of its own).
- Flames of Renewal – CP edits – still waiting
- In the Moonlight –
Pre-revisions& Revisions – Mapped out 32/32 chapters & highlighted different plot lines, wrote out a scene list/timeline to figure out how crammed together the story is. Made up note cards for sections of revision to concentrate on & pinned them to my board. Ready to start actual revisions now.
- One Touch(formerly Snow White Twist) – Beta edits, Polish, & Submit – still waiting to hear back from 2nd beta reader.
- Dance with the Devil – Polish 6 chapters – Polished 2/6 chapters
- Listen: 5 books – 1/5
Heartless(Gail Carriger)– Finished this Monday afternoon. Really enjoyed it.
- The Immortal Irishman(Timothy Egan) – Picked this back up Tuesday morning. On Chapter 18/24
- Read: 30 books – 7/30, 4 this week
Death at Peony House(Krista Walsh)– Finished this Sunday evening. Really enjoyed it. The Ruin of Gabriel Ashleigh(KJ Charles)– Read this Sunday morning. It was short, but I really enjoyed it.
- Devil May Care(Cynthia Rayne) – Started this Sunday evening. This is book 4 in her Four Horsemen MC series. I really want to get to the next one and read Shep & Pretty Boy’s story. She’s been teasing us with hints of them throughout the series. I got to 36% Sunday night.
Talk Me Down(Victoria Dahl)– Started this Monday morning. Finished it Monday evening. Really enjoyed it. A Seditious Affair(KJ Charles)– Started this Tuesday morning. Finished it Tuesday night. Absolutely loved this one.