It’s been a pretty good week so far. Sunday, my MIL came out to the house to watch the kids and the husband and I got on the motorcycle and went for our first ride of the season. It was nice to finally get out. We got hit with a few raindrops when we were almost home, but we mostly beat the rain. We’d planned to have a fire out in the yard that night, but all the wood we have was wet and it started thundering again while husband was trying to get it going. So we had to cancel that. Maybe next weekend.
Monday I thought would be a lazy day. But, we ended up going to a friend’s so husband could help cut down a tree. Then, we had to haul some mattresses around for some family members of his(I won’t get into all the drama surrounding that). We did get some free, fresh eggs out of that, though. And then we went and got ice cream for dinner. I didn’t get as much done as I would have liked, but I did get some.
Yesterday was back to the normal routine. At least for the next week. Then, the kids will be home for the summer, and I’ll have to see what my routine looks like. It may not be too different since they can pretty play outside by themselves(I do check on them periodically, but they don’t need me out there constantly).
Now, since it is Wednesday, it’s time to share another snippet for WiPPet Wednesday!! Today I’m working on Heart of Christmas, a novella in my BC Security series. I still don’t have a lot for this one(less than 1k so far), but I can share a little bit. This is from the very first scene. 26 sentences(31-5) for today. Alaina is walking with her cousin, Sean. They’re on his family’s farm. And her brother, Declan, you may have met in snippets of Protecting the Heart. He’ll be showing up a little later.
He’d made it pretty clear that he didn’t ever think about her. Avoiding eye contact, barely responding to her greetings and other efforts to converse with him. Yeah, it was obvious, so why couldn’t she just give up?
Too stubborn for anyone’s own good as her brother, Declan, would likely say.
Sean squeezed her shoulders as if he knew where her thoughts had gone. But how could he? It’s not like she’d ever admitted any of these feelings to anyone. That was just a way to be humiliated. She learned that lesson a long time ago. Thanks to her stepfather, when he’d abandoned her after driving her mother…she quickly cut that thought off. No need to bring herself down now.
“Those Dougherty boys,” Sean murmured, and she jerked her gaze to his.
Sean’s smile remained soft, but she cleared her throat. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”
He didn’t laugh this time, but she was pretty sure she could hear it in his voice when he said, “It took me a while to convince Braeden it was okay to love me, too. And Caelen has more standing in his way than Brae ever did.”
“I still don’t know what you’re talking about.” But her chest ached at the insinuation to a past she wasn’t aware of.
Sean’s lips curled up even more. “I think you do. But, I won’t pester you about it anymore. Mom will question what’s kept us from her table for so long.”
“Leave your mother alone,” Alaina said, a laugh in her voice. “She’s a saint for putting up with you for so long.”
He brushed his lips over her temple, and the gesture nearly brought tears to her eyes. “I know it,” he murmured.
Still Burning– finish Story Toolkit, Outline–
- Jayla & Carisa(Gilbert, Co #7) –
brainstorm, character back stories, plot summary, get through Story Toolkit: Supporting Characters – This is going onto the backburner for the moment. I’ll pick it back up once I finish Not Meant to Be.
- High on Your Love(Kurztown #6) –
brainstorm, character back stories, plot summary, Story Toolkit, Outline. – Finished writing Morgan’s back story, still need to type it up.
- Not Meant to Be – Add 53000 words/28 scenes to finish 1st draft – 20681 words/23 scenes finished this month,
- Still Burning(Hunter Family #4) – Write 70000 words/61 scenes – 1397 words/1 scene finished
- Heart of Christmas(BC Security #3.5) – Write 30000 words/42 scenes – 935 words/1 scene finished, 190 words this week.
- By the Gun – Write 50000 words/22 scenes to finish part/book 1(haven’t decided if I’ll write the book in 3 parts or make it 3 different books. Likely will decide when I finish the first part). – 3247 words/4 scenes, 2225 words/2 scenes this week
- Diego was right, Luke knew. But, he’d always hoped the boy would lose sight of his vow for vengeance. That he would find something more fulfilling to life, as Luke had. If he was right about who he’d seen out there today, it was obvious that hadn’t happened. And that it never would.
- Side Projects –
Add 4400 words between all projects– 12496/4400 words, 960 words this week
- Patrick & Sarah – 219 words – He had to shake that thought off, too, or he might just find himself turning around and riding back to the farm. But, then he certainly would never have a chance with Sarah. And he really wanted to have that chance. Even if it never came to more than that.
- Dougal & Shae – 210 words – “Really? What do you plan to do? Drag your little sister out to a bar? Sure and she’d likely kick your arse for that, too.”“Oh, yes, she would,” he said, the grin not fading from his face. “But, that wasn’t my plan anyway. I came to extend an invitation to my parents’ place this weekend.”
- Roman – 325 words – That would make this an even more precise job he’d have to do. And he wasn’t sure he could do that. The questions he’d planned to ask would likely tip Carlos right over the edge he was already walking. But, he didn’t see any way around it. Even if not for his case, he needed to know so they could help Tereza move on from the way she’d been living.
- Midas’ Daughter – 206 words – If it was up to her, she’d just cancel the party. She hadn’t wanted it in the first place. But, she knew that wasn’t possible. Her father would never let her get away with it.
- Flames of Renewal – CP Edits –
In the Moonlight – Transfer from OneNote(on my Surface) to Scrivener(on my laptop) – 27 chapters(there’s actually 32, counting the epilogue, but I’d already started it before)– 27/27 chapters typed up.
- Stained Blood – Adding this in as I’m starting to get chapters back from beta: Compile comments – 1/26 chapters. Got an email back from CP on this. No comments in the document for this version, but a lot of good things in the email.
- Snow White Twist – Beta edits, rename, & submit – compiled notes from 1 beta reader to the main document. Still waiting to hear from other beta reader. Have a potential title for it as well. Still simmering on that, though.
- Dance with the Devil –
read through, make revisions,& polish – Polished 4/10 chapters. Beta Read– Read 58 chapters(total of 73, but that’s what I have left) & return to author–
- Story a Day – Write 31 stories – 30/31 stories written, 3 this week. Still waiting for the final prompt.
- Meeting Jonas – Isaac meets Jonas for first time. Warning for mention of child abuse & self-harm.
- Memorial Day – Toby visits the cemetery to honor those who have been lost.
- Your Call – Some back story to By the Gun. What will Luke do when there’s trouble immediately following Arcelia agreeing to marry him?
Listen: 5 books– 6/5 for the month, this week
- The Immortal Irishman(Timothy Egan) – I don’t read or listen to much non-fiction. But this one was the daily deal back on St. Patrick’s day and it combines two of my interests, Irish history and the Civil War. On Chapter 17/24. I’m really enjoying it and it’s inspiring me to pick up a story I wrote years ago and have replotted that takes place in the same time period.
- Heartless(Gail Carriger) – Started this Monday morning. On Chapter 5/16
- Read: 31 books – 30.5/31, 2 this week
- Death at Peony House(Krista Walsh) – I started this Sunday afternoon. At 46%. This was still in my Unlimited folder, though I think the series is out of KU now. So this will be my “extra” book for now. Really enjoying it(so good incentive to finish my other books for the week and get back to it).
The Star-Touched Queen(Roshani Chokshi)– Started this Monday morning. Finished it Tuesday afternoon. Absolutely lovely. A Copper Ridge Christmas(Maisey Yates)– Started this Tuesday morning. Finished it Tuesday afternoon. It was a quick, enjoyable read.
- By the Hour(Roni Loren) – Started this Tuesday evening. At 18%
Knit: Duo Cable Hat– Finished this Tuesday night. Now, putting the yarn away until at least September.
It was a pretty good month overall. Over 40,000 words written and crossed a few things off, though it seems I added even more. Hoping next month will be good as well.