Home of a mother, wife, writer

Posts tagged ‘cotton’

Knitting Monday: Ethan’s Hat & Other Projects

A friend of mine, one of the women from a group I joined when I was pregnant with my daughter, welcomed a little boy into her family at the beginning of July. He was actually born at the end of June, but they had to wait three days until the birth parents could sign over their rights. I wanted to make something. I had already started a little hat when another person from our group thought it would be nice if we all showered them with gifts. I ended up ripping out the hat I was making because it wasn’t turning out the way I expected(which I would have known if I paid attention to the pattern). So, I started a different little hat. It only took a couple days to finish(probably a total of 5 hours all together). It did turn out really cute. I even did some duplicate stitch to make an E for his name.

Yes, I stole one of my daughter’s dolls to model the hat

I also made a couple bibs to send with the hat. I found a pattern for a bandana bib, and made two of them in different colors. I also used two different brands of yarn, Lily Sugar n’ Cream and Loops & Thread’s Cotton Club(which is also what I used for the hat). The Cotton Club one turned out a lot softer than the Sugar n’ Cream bib did. But, they did both turn out really cute(once I steam blocked them and got rid of the curl at the bottom).

Bandana bibs. The green is the Cotton Club. The light blue is Sugar n’ Cream.

I am not able to sell bibs like these, but I am able to make the hats and sell them. Available in any size and color(as long as I can get my hands on the yarn). This and anything else can be ordered either through my Facebook page of if you email me directly at brownsnovelknits@gmail.com.
Right now, I am working on 3 different projects. One is for a gift, so I will not be sharing any pictures until it has been given to the recipients. But, I’m also working on another of my “cause hats”. I’m planning on making as many of these as I can before my friends walk and hopefully selling some of them to help her raise money. After that, I’ll be focusing on selling some to donate the money to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

The other project I’m working on is a Thomas the Tank Engine hat. Debated on how to do this, but I think I’ve figured it out. Don’t have a picture of it yet, but I’m only about half done. Hopefully will be finished by next week and have a picture of the completed project. Then, my daughter wants me to make her a Minnie hat. So, it looks like that will be my next project.

Knitting Monday: New Hat & More Yarn

Last week, I shared the pattern I was using to make a hat for Hayleigh. Well, I gave up on that one and started a search for one that was more of a sun hat. Couldn’t really find any that I liked though. So, used them as a starting point, and am pretty much making it up as I go. It starts just like a beanie would. After finishing the main part of the hat, I’ll pick up stitches around the bottom and knit around for the brim.

Picture is not the best, I know. I did a 1×1 rib then knit up in stockinette stitch until it was about 3 inches from the beginning. Then, I did two eyelet rows with a row of knitting between. Almost ready to start the decreases now.

This past Saturday, we were out and about and I finally picked up some more yarn. Cotton in two different colors, 1 skein of orchid and 2 of rouge red. Planning on using this for some more hats. The red will be for the ones for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. And the orchid will be ones that I’m hoping to sell for some of the proceeds going towards a friend’s fundraising for her Lupus Walk. Now, that I have the yarn I need, I’m hoping to get started on these hats sometime this week.

Knitting Monday: More Hats

I finished the Snowtracks Cap I was working on last week on Thursday. It turned out pretty nice. The cabling was not really complicated, but it still looks nice. That one took me about 13 or 14 hours to finish.

The picture is not the greatest, but I was trying to take it of myself and tried cropping out all the background stuff(or what I could).

On Friday, I decided to knit another hat for Nathan to keep the sun off his head. I had some blue cotton and figured the cotton would make a nice spring/summer hat for him. And I knit up a beanie with a broken rib brim. This one was a really quick project. Only took about five hours, maybe a little less. Was able to finish it over two days. And he actually kept it on. At least for a little while.

He did wear it outside Saturday, and his head did seem to stay cool when he had it on. Now, I’m just starting to cast on for a Spring hat for Hayleigh. I’m going to attempt this Spring Toque for her. Hoping the largest size will fit her, either that or cast on more stitches to make it bigger. The casting on for the ruffled brim may be what takes the longest.

Tag Cloud