I had a very social weekend. On Friday, my husband dropped the dogs off at a local kennel where they could run and play, since we’d be gone all weekend. Then, we waited for the kids to get home, packed everything in the truck, and took the kids to the campground where my mom and stepdad were staying for the weekend. And we made our way to Seven Springs, a resort south of Pittsburgh. That’s where the regional rally for the motorcycle club we ride with was being held. There were people from stations of the club from all over the country(the furthest I saw was I think Wisconsin). We had pizza Friday night. We didn’t drink, though even if we were big drinkers, at $5 for a little cup of beer, I don’t think we would have anyway. Saturday morning we went on a ride out to the Flight 93 memorial and then to the site of the Quecreek Mine Rescue. Saturday night there was a nice dinner. Sunday we got up, had breakfast at our hotel(we didn’t stay at the resort, which was about 2x the price of our hotel 12 miles away), and headed home. It was a really good weekend, but I may still be recovering from all the social time.
I had a Mellow Monday, but ended up writing a little over 3000 words yesterday. I may not have gotten that if I’d pushed myself on Monday. So, I think Mellow Monday will be sticking around.
And now for WiPPet Wednesday! I’m still sharing from Jonas & Isaac’s story(probably will be for a while at least). This happens shortly after last week’s. Jonas is just getting home, feeling sore from walking to and from the bus stop and his thoughts are spiraling to a not great place. A little context on Jonas & Toby’s relationship. They’re half-brothers, Toby is about 16 years older than Jonas & his twin sister. Their father died when the twins were about 6/7. Toby stepped in to help his mother then. So, that’s what Toby refers back to at the beginning here. I have 36 sentences(9+27) for today.
Toby stepped out of the living room, Catarina on his shoulders. “Where have you been?” he asked.
“Out,” he snapped. “Don’t worry about it. You aren’t my father.”
Toby jerked back at that, but then a smile crossed his face. “Damn, it’s been a long time since I’ve heard that.”
“Fuck you,” he said and started past him.
But his good knee gave out on him, bringing him down hard on the crutch. He cried out then Toby was catching him. “What the hell did you do? Try to run a marathon?”
“Funny,” he said through clenched teeth. “Just need to lay down. Tired.”
“No, you need to take a damn pain pill. When’s the last time you took one?”
The day before, after his physical therapy session. But, he wasn’t going to tell his brother that. Toby put an arm under his shoulders. Catarina was scampering into the living room, so she must have gotten down at some point. “Come on,” he said. As he guided Jonas toward the den, he said, “I get it. I really do, Jonas. I grew up with an addict for a mother. You only got the cleaned up version of her. So, I get not wanting to risk that. But, all you’re doing is hurting yourself. And Mom, too. She sees what you’re doing and don’t think she doesn’t know why.”
Jonas cringed at that. He didn’t want to hurt her. But, there were already times he could hardly think about anything except taking the next pill. Anything to make the pain go away.
He dropped onto his bed in the den, burying his face in his pillow. “I should have just died with them.”
Oh, Jonas. Just want to dive into the notebook and hug him. Though, this is a bit of a turning point for him, when he realizes he might just need to ask for some help.
- Primary: Green Hills & Smoky Fields: Book 1 – Story Toolkit – finished the third character arc worksheet 8c/18
- Secondary: Plan out weekly Story a Day offerings – Plotted 20/20 so far. On target.
- Primary: Write 45000 words on 5 main projects(
one almost complete) – 24289/45000 words Off target
- Still Burning – 1704 words
- Whatever It Takes –
- High on Loving You –
- By the Gun –
- Secondary: Write 10000 words on 10 side projects – 5306/10000 words A little off target
- Tavin & Haiwee – 52 words
- Roman –
- Dougal & Shae –
Jacob & Matthew– 185 words
- At this rate, he wouldn’t even be able to hold the cards tonight. But, he didn’t really care.
- Mike & Fadil–
- Hawk –
- Sean & Braeden –
- Melanie & Garren –
- Stretch: Write 50 pages on Jonas & Isaac project – 23/50 pages Off target
- Primary: Edit Stained Blood as I get chapters back – edited 3/3 scenes from Chapter 2. Found out OK has been in use since about 1839, but it wasn’t spelled out as okay until about 1929, so had to rephrase something. 🙂 Added 560 words.
- Secondary: Edit Flames of Renewal when I get it back –
- Stretch: Edit Preggers short story – Polished 9/49 items
- Primary: Read 30 books – 24/30 Fell Off Target
- Of Dreams and Rust(Sarah Fine) – Started this Monday(9/4) morning. At 14%. Not sure if it’s because it’s been so long since I read the first book or what, but I find myself not really caring. So setting this aside until I finish the other books on this month’s list(or at least for the week). Then, I may try to pick it back up.
When Skies Have Fallen(Debbie McGowan)– Started this Friday morning. Finished it Sunday morning. Loved it. The Melody of You and Me(M Hollis)– Read this Sunday. It was short, and I had some issues, mostly it felt really passive, but it was a sweet, cute story, and I enjoyed it. Virgin River(Robyn Carr)– Started this Sunday afternoon, finished it Sunday night. This one felt like a lot of nothing happened. I wasn’t sure about adding the next book, but I decided to anyway. Though I’m surprised my eyes didn’t roll out of my head with ever use of ‘fanny'(seriously, what is so wrong with saying butt. It’s a freaking body part), or the fact that apparently the hero has a magic penis(or magic sperm, I guess), since the heroine couldn’t get pregnant after 3 years of trying with her late husband, but magically the first time they’re together, she does. If I have similar issues with book 2, I won’t be continuing the series. Into the Night(Suzanne Brockmann)– Started this Monday morning. Finished it Monday night. Enjoyed it. Marian(Ella Lyons)– Started this Tuesday morning. Finished it Tuesday night. Enjoyed it. Out of the Blue(Jill Shalvis)– Read this Tuesday night. This was a shorter one(category length) and older one(from 2000), so it had a few eye-rolling moments, but it was a fun, sweet read.
- Secondary: Listen to 6 books – 5/6 Close to target
Hold Me Close(Rosalind James)– Started this Monday morning. Finished it Tuesday afternoon. Really enjoyed it.
- Girl in the Shadows(Gwenda Bond) – Started this Tuesday afternoon. On Chapter 5/47.
- Stretch: Read 1 craft/research book – I did read a little more of The Story of the Irish Race for GH & SF.
- Primary: Post weekly Writing Wednesday, Fiction Friday, SOCS, WeWriWa, & Sunday Summary posts – On target
- Secondary: Write & Post 25 Story a Day pieces – 22/25 written. 18/25 posted On target
- Changing History
- Birth – takes place after the end of Jonas & Isaac’s story
- Dazzling Sunset – a bit with Ian and Aidan, from my short story, Hang On.
- Looking Up – a bit of a “meet cute” for 2 new characters.
- Moving Forward – a bit of ‘after ever after’ for Jonas & Isaac(though it comes before ‘Birth’.
- Not Twins – continuation to my Preggers story, not posted
- Motive – More Jonas & Isaac, combined with Stream of Consciousness Saturday
- Breaking Rules – A quick 100 words of dialogue without quotation marks(prompt was to break some rules).
- Konner & Derek – Wrote this by hand then dictated to my phone(both methods I don’t typically use).
- Rapunzel, Rapunzel – a bit of a gender-bent modernized version of Rapunzel, featuring Konner & Derek.
- A Good Sign – more with Konner & Derek, something that happens off page in Jonas & Isaac’s story.
- Like This Forever – more of Jonas & Isaac’s story, a bit emotional
- Slanting Sunlight – continuation of Looking Up
- Never Believe – a bit with Isaac shortly after him and Jonas break up.
- End of the Party – more with Jonas & Isaac
- The Monster – A really short one(125 words)
- The News – more with Jonas & Isaac, this would be after the end of their story.
- Protect You – Continuation of The Monster. Another attempted drabble(that went over 100 words again).
- Aiding and Abetting – Happens either during Whatever It Takes or sometime after. Jared breaks a law, but with good reason(at least to his thinking).
- Last Minute Sitter – Lyndi & Marika (from Preggers short story) getting ready to leave on their honeymoon. Not posted.
- Just Sibling Stuff – more with Jonas, probably takes place during Jonas & Isaac. Toby is watching his brother’s kids and has to deal with a situation(which seems to be a common occurrence in our house).
- Discrepancy – Anna finds her boss acting suspiciously, then a discrepancy in funds.
- Stretch: Post to Patreon 4x – 2/4 – posted a monthly writing update & posted Chapter 2 of Patrick & Sarah’s story. On target