Okay, so it’s 10 years minus 1 day. Yes, my daughter is going to be double digits tomorrow. And yes, I’m having a hard time believing that. This is my sensitive, and sometimes dramatic, daughter. She often still has her bed so covered in stuffed animals that there’s little room for her to sleep. She’s my “girly-girl”, who likes to paint her nails and wear dresses and skirts. Has a strong distaste for jeans(and I mean strong, she refuses to wear them). She’s my little bookworm, who seems to be more interested in non-fiction(particularly about animals) these days.
And she’s going to be 10. She’ll be starting fourth grade in 3 weeks(well, from yesterday). How did this happen?(yeah, I know how, but still). We had her birthday party this past Sunday. I was a little stressed since we were busy all day Saturday, and by the time I got home at 8:30 that night, I still had to bake zucchini bread(ended up with enough zucchini for 2 loaves) and the cake. So, it was close to 11 before I got to bed. And there was stuff to do in the morning before the party. But, we got it handled. And I mostly handled the party, even if 7 kids(counting mine) being loud in my house had me a little on edge. And that was just her cousins. And we get to do it again in 3 weeks for her brother’s birthday.
And now it’s time for WiPPet Snippet, a blog hop hosted by the amazing Emily Wrayburn where we post from a current Work in Progress that somehow corresponds to the date. Today I have 9 paragraphs, picking up a little ways down from where I left off in Jonas & Isaac’s story last week. Jonas is snapping out at people, and Toby realizes why and pushes him to take a pill so he’s not in so much pain. And we find out a little more about what happened to him.
He twisted off the cap, glad at least his arms hadn’t been damaged in the accident, and he could at least do something for himself. Some hero. The chopper had gone down on their way to pick up a couple wounded soldiers, and he hadn’t been able to even help the men on board. Hadn’t been able to help Santiago, his best friend, his one time lover.
Jonas swallowed a sob with the pill. All his medic training had meant jack shit as he laid trapped in the wreckage. He’d heard Santiago take his last breaths and hadn’t been able to get to him. His foot had been so mangled and deprived of blood flow by the time help go there, there’d been no recourse but to remove it. They thought it was a head injury that caused the vision and hearing loss on his left side.
But, he was still alive. Some days he just wasn’t quite sure if that was a positive or not.
The door opened again, and he lifted his head, thinking it would be his mom, sister, sister-in-law and the kids.
Everything inside him froze as five years seemed to just disappear. His stomach knotted up, and he gripped the edge of the table. No. He was only here for two days. Couldn’t he even go that long without seeing him? Any other time he’d been home on leave he could have stood it. Not now, though.
“Isaac,” Carlos said. “You here for that dinner order for the center?”
“Yeah. Is it ready?” His voice had started to trail off on the last word, and Jonas knew his ex-boyfriend was looking at him. There wasn’t much more than blurred images on that side, though.
He ducked his head and turned his face away, hoping Isaac hadn’t already seen the scars there. The last thing he needed was pity from that direction.
How will Isaac react to seeing him again? Will he pity Jonas? Will they even talk? I’ll have the end of this scene for you next week.
In the meantime, you can check out the other WiPPeteers here.
- Primary: Write 50000 words on 5 main projects – 12370/50000 words
- Heart of Christmas – 1245 words
- Still Burning – 1048 words
- Whatever It Takes – 1154 words
- High on Loving You – 1241 words
- By the Gun – 1152 words
- Secondary: Write 10000 words on 10 side projects -2299/10000 words
- Patrick & Sarah – 31 words
- Tavin & Haiwee – 68 words
- Roman – 111 words
- Dougal & Shae – 64 words
- Jacob & Matthew – 97 words
- Mike & Fadil – 144 words
- Preggers – 49 words
- Hawk – 29 words
- Sean & Braeden – 151 words
- Jacob’s Stepfather – 143 words
- Stretch: Write 20 pages in composition notebook on Jonas & Isaac’s story(already had 2 pages written at beginning of month) – 16/20 pages
- Primary: Edit Stained Blood as I get chapters back
- Secondary: Edit Flames of Renewal once I get it back
Polish In the Moonlightand Staring at the Sun, post Staring at the Sun on Wattpad, Edit Midas’ Daughter – 34/34 polished for In the Moonlight
- Primary: Read 30 books – 6/30
Two of a Kind(Susan Mallery)– Started this Friday afternoon. Finished it Sunday night. Interborough(Santino Hassell)– Started this Sunday night. Finished it Monday night. Loved it. Fatal Justice(Marie Force)– started this Monday night. Finished it Tuesday night. Enjoyed it.
- Secondary: Listen to 4 audio books – 2/4
Carry Me Home(Rosalind James)– Started this Friday afternoon. Finished it Tuesday afternoon. Liked it. Though I could handle not ever reading/hearing another male character telling a female character to act/dress/look feminine. In the context in this book, it wasn’t so bad, but I’ve heard it enough in my own life that I’m rather tired of it.
- Forgotten Memories(Robin Perini) – Started this Tuesday afternoon. On Chapter 2/27
- Stretch: Read 1 craft/research book
- Primary: Post Writing Wednesday, Fiction Friday, SOCS, WeWriWa, & Sunday Summary posts each week – 1/5 once this one posts.
- Secondary: Post to Patreon at least 1x a week – Posted excerpt from Still Burning on Monday.
- Stretch: Stay current with blog comments – current as of Tuesday morning