Friday, my husband and I had our 10 year anniversary. We didn’t do much that day, just went out to eat with the kids and got groceries, like we tend to do on Fridays. Earlier that day, I’d taken the kids to the doctor for their yearly check-ups. My daughter may be the only child I know who has a total meltdown because I’m taking her out of school early. But, both are healthy and growing on the same curve they always have(basically the girl is short & skinny and the boy is tall & skinny). I’m just glad I ended up not having to re-schedule it due to jury duty. If you missed my post on Wednesday, I was excused from the one trial, and had to call in Tuesday night, but by then all the others had been settled, so I came home.
Yesterday, we took the kids to my mother-in-law’s in the afternoon and dropped them off with their sleeping bags and clothes. And we headed the rest of the way up to Erie. Husband had asked me if I wanted to take one of my boxes of books to the used bookstore. Do I want to go to the bookstore? And on our anniversary. Does he know me or what? So, I took my little box in(maybe 10 books in it), and came out with 3 new books in it. Then, we went to the movie theater and saw The Secret Life of Pets. Yep, we went to see an animated movie when we didn’t have the kids. But, it was good. He’d wanted to see Sully, but I really wanted something that would make me laugh. Then, after going to Target to buy a new shower curtain for the kids’ bathroom, we went to Applebee’s. And my husband surprises me by telling the hostess we’re meeting a group there. Well, he’d invited my best friend and her husband to have dinner with us. It was a very nice surprise since I don’t see her very often(it’s probably been a year since I’ve seen her), and we had a good time.
My progress this week really wasn’t great. I did get some stuff done at least.
Shed Some Light – finish first draft– I did get this done! I wrote 4830 words this week on it. – She’d wanted to check her brother out without the pressure of actually talking to him. Tereza could understand that. She’d like to be able to do the same with her mother. Instead she’d been avoiding the issue entirely
- I also wrote:
- Closing Time – 1950 words – Cam must have stared at the door for a full five minutes after Gio let himself out. That man twisted him up something awful. he could hardly think when Gio was around. But, he couldn’t think of anything else but being with him when he was gone. He might as well not have a brain at this point.
- Break on Me – 971 words – It was probably something he should talk about. But, not right now and maybe not to her. She wasn’t his shrink, and she didn’t want to be. She just wanted to be with him.
- In the Moonlight – 1212 words – I didn’t know what to say to that. I knew what she meant, of course. Just because I hadn’t done it didn’t mean I hadn’t read about it. I was just glad Mom had never found those books.
- Defending the Heart – 1278 words – Piers Quincey was usually quite comfortable in a suit. So, why couldn’t he stop pulling at his tie and shifting his shoulders in the confines of the jacket? It just didn’t make any sense. When Alex’s sister said something that was supposed to be funny, he made himself laugh. It was the best he could do.
- Story a Day: wrote the first 3 days of this week then kind of dropped off. Might try to pick it back up this week, but we’ll see.
Stained by Ashes – format & publish– done & DONE! I got it up Friday afternoon and it was live by the time we got home from getting groceries. It’s only available on Amazon for the time being, as I’m running these through KDP Select, so you can also borrow it for free through Kindle Unlimited. And the first book Stained Snow is free through Monday if you haven’t read that yet. Toby & Denise – finish Toby’s back story– I got Toby’s done. Haven’t even started on Denise’s yet, though.
- Side projects – add 500 words each to Dance with the Devil & Snow White Twist – Not quite on either. I didn’t quite get even 500 between them.
- Dance with the Devil – 259 words – Medusa tried to push me back to my pillow and said something about a pill, but I wasn’t having either. I wouldn’t take this lying down.
- Snow White Twist – 236 words – She pulled back even though she didn’t want to let the other girl go yet. But, even the other girl’s eyes looked dazed. So, if this was a spell, they were likely under the same one.
Read: Writing Active Hooks: Book 1 – finish– I got this done. I already have the second book in this series, so I’ll start it on Monday
- Listen: Empire of Storms(probably won’t finish) – I still have probably 8 hours left on this. Really loving it, though. It’s just long, and I didn’t have as much time to listen as I usually do.
Finish Always on My Mind(Bella Andre), Hot Property(Carly Phillips), A Geek Girl’s Guide to Murder(Julie Anne Lindsey),Blightlore(Krista Walsh), The Darkest Hour(Maya Banks), Grave Touched(Erin Zarro), The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie(Jennifer Ashley), and More Happy Than Not(Adam Silvera) – I finished Always on My Mind, but couldn’t get into Hot Property. But, I really enjoyed A Geek Girl’s Guide to Murder. I’m 61% through Blightlore right now. I didn’t read as much while I was trying to get Stained by Ashes all wrapped up. Hoping to get more of that done this week, though.
As I look through that, it wasn’t as bad as I thought. Mostly the reading that kind of fell off. For now, I’m going to be concentrating on one major goal, and once I finish that and everything else on my list for the day, I’ll work on the other projects if I have time. For the moment, Closing Time is my next major project.
- Write – 13000 words(10000 towards Closing Time)
- Edit – Polish Healing the Heart(if anyone’s interested in beta reading this, let me know)
- Plot – Toby & Denise: Write Denise’s back story
- Side Projects – Add 2500 words between projects
- Read: Writing Active Hooks: Book 2 – 50%
- Listen: Empire of Storms & Obsessed(T.R. Ragan)
- Read: Finish Blightlore(Krista Walsh), The Darkest Hour(Maya Banks), Grave Touched(Erin Zarro), The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie(Jennifer Ashley), More Happy Than Not(Adam Silvera), Cut Both Ways(Carrie Mesrobian), Start Me Up(Victoria Dahl), An Ember in the Ashes(Sabaa Tahir), The Chief(Monica McCarty), & Still the One(Jill Shalvis)