So, I started out this week down at my mom’s. Because I still had to report for jury duty(which I mentioned in Sunday’s posts, but I know some may not have seen). I set up my goals reflecting that instead of being overwhelmed. Let’s just say it was odd sleeping in my childhood bedroom once again. And on an air mattress. And since I was anxious about Monday, having not-quite dreams(I wasn’t actually asleep yet) of all these faces looming in on me. Score 1 for social anxiety and an active imagination. Got through the security at the court house just fine and filled out paperwork. Then, it was waiting and listening through an orientation thing from the judge. And I’m sitting there digging my nails into my hands trying to calm my anxiety(yes, I realize this is not a healthy coping mechanism). By the time they started calling potentials jurors up, the backs of my hands were all red from this. And I was the fourth one called up. I did end up being excused. They may not have liked the way I kept fidgeting and couldn’t sit still. or some other reason. Either way, I’m thankful. But, I had to wait and call in last night because there were some cases that weren’t settled yet. So, last night I called in right at 5, per the instructions, but the message was the same as on Friday evening. It wasn’t until after 6 it finally changed and said all the other cases were settled and the rest of us were excused. So, I came home last night, tucked my kids in(even though the little stinkers said they didn’t even miss me :p), and re-worked my to-do lists for the rest of the week. It was nice to be back in my own bed and to get back to my own routine.
Anyway, now that I’m back, I won’t have any problem sharing another snippet for WiPPet Wednesday!(I probably still would have been able to, it just might have been later at night). Last week I shared a bit from Gio from Closing Time. This week, we’ll have a bit of Cam’s perspective. In case it’s not clear, he was the bartender in last week’s snippet. I have 13 sentences(9+1+4=14/2=7*1+6=13). I got creative with the maths this week(also WordPress says maths isn’t a word, but I’m gonna keep using it anyway ;p). This is actually from the scene just before last week’s, but they’re happening at about the same time.
Gio’s sister, Caitie was in here frequently as well. And both of his older brothers, Cormac and Brann had stopped in a couple times.
Caitie was reserved around Cam, but he wouldn’t be surprised if that was because her fiancé had told her what Cam had done to Nolan, who was apparently the fiancé’s best friend. His mind spun a little at all the connections. And then he realized Gio was still staring at him.
“You sure you’re okay?” his boss asked. “You can clock out early if you need to.”
But, Cam shook his head. If he quit early every time Gio’s nearness shook him up, he might as well not even work.
It was fine. He was fine. Even as Gio’s arm brushed his, he assured himself of that fact. And that nothing could happen between him and his boss.
So, apparently, Cam isn’t quite as disinterested as Gio might think. More that he’s been burned before and is a bit more cautious now.
Now, for how much progress I’ve made so far this week:
- Shed Some Light – finish first draft – so, so, so close. I think I have 1 more scene to write(I say ‘I think’ because sometimes my characters are meanies 😉 ). – “We’re not your family,” Andrew bit off. “You took one daughter from me. Don’t even think I’m going to let you have a relationship with the others. I don’t care how much you claim you’ve changed. You’re still the punk kid you’ve always been.” *ouch. Carlos’ stepfather really knows how to hit. Also, those other two daughters are both grown adults, so sorry, Andrew, think they can make that decision for themselves. Also, I didn’t put it on the list, but I’ve added to:
- Closing Time – 1050 words, which I just finished writing(bouncing between writing and working on this post). – Cam slid his fingers into Gio’s hair and tilted his head so it rested against Gio’s. “I don’t think you could mess anything up as much as I’m capable of. But, thanks for saying it.”
- Defending the Heart – 974 words, all of which were for Story a Day pieces, but they were both able to fight into the WiP, so I’m counting them, even if they aren’t in chronological order. – “Then, you’re both being idiots. Go on and see your folks. I need to finish cleaning up in here then I’m going to call my husband and apologize before I open up. An apology for screwing up works wonders, even three years later, boy.” *Oh, I think I’m going to like Felipe. A nice voice of reason to Xavier.
- Story a Day – 3 stories so far:
- Stained by Ashes – format & publish – I got this all moved over to scrivener and broken back up into its chapters. I plan to work on the formatting later today.
- Toby & Denise –
finish Toby’s back story– I did finish this yesterday. Almost 2000 words. Hoping to start Denise’s later today.
- Side projects – add 500 words each to Dance with the Devil & Snow White Twist – about halfway on both of these.
- Dance with the Devil – 259 words – I could tell her that it wasn’t a matter of seeing it. I didn’t have to see; I knew it as deep as it could go. But, I just couldn’t go there.
- Snow White Twist – 236 words – She slid her mouth away from Tarian’s, latching onto the column of her throat. She had to taste more of her. She just had to. She thought she might starve with want if she didn’t.
- Read: Writing Active Hooks: Book 1 – finish – at 81%
- Listen: Empire of Storms(probably won’t finish) – haven’t listened to much more this week. Will be once I get started on chores today.
Finish Always on My Mind(Bella Andre), Hot Property(Carly Phillips), A Geek Girl’s Guide to Murder(Julie Anne Lindsey), Blightlore(Krista Walsh), The Darkest Hour(Maya Banks), Grave Touched(Erin Zarro), The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie(Jennifer Ashley), and More Happy Than Not(Adam Silvera) – Finished Always on My Mind Sunday night(enjoyed), couldn’t really get into Hot Property, and just finished A Geek Girl’s Guide to Murder this morning(really enjoyed). Mostly on track with this.