At least that’s what my routine is right now. On Thursday, I decided what I’d been doing wasn’t actually working for me. And simply writing/editing/plotting through the morning would work better. And I could get through the rest of the stuff after lunch. I think this will work better, though I have to figure out just how that writing/editing/plotting will fall. I have ideas…They just aren’t going to work for this week. Because I have to report for jury duty. I’ll be leaving tonight to stay at my mom’s, since it’s a lot closer to the courthouse(we only live a few miles from the county line, so are almost in the next county). Which means my husband will have to get the kids up and on the bus in the morning and our neighbor will be watching them after school until he gets home from work. And I won’t have a lot of time for writing. So, my weekly goal list was kind of short. I’m still going to write first thing in the morning, but that will probably be mostly concentrated on my Story a Day pieces, which I’ve been trying to use my current projects for those. And I’m close to finishing the first draft of Shed Some Light. Hopefully I’ll be able to do that this week, too.
AND…I’m trying to get Stained by Ashes published. I put the finishing touches on the cover this morning. I have to import it from word to scrivener(my Surface that I use doesn’t support scrivener, but I still have my laptop, so I have it on there), so I can get it all formatted the way I like. I could probably figure out how to do it in Word, but scrivener practically does all the work for you. So, I’m going to try to get that ready and up on Amazon before I head to my mom’s tonight. We’ll see how much time I have once I get everything else done today. But, here’s a sneak peek at the cover:
I may still make some changes to the wording/font if anyone has any feedback.
Anyway, getting on with my progress for the week so I can get to all that other stuff:
- Write 15000 words – This didn’t happen this week. The words just weren’t flowing that fast. I’m thinking my new routine will help when I can get to it. I managed 9353/15000 words. And some of those were from my Story a Day pieces, not necessarily the next scenes. I wrote 2 for Closing Time that won’t come until near the end, but I counted them anyway.
- Shed Some Light -4437 words – There was still that small dark spot in his heart, knowing how close he’d come to losing her, and the worry he was wrong and still could. But, she had woken up, told him to shut up and that she loved him. Everything was going to be all right. It had to be.
- Closing Time – 4483 words – “I wouldn’t have thought…he comes off as such an alpha asshole.”Gio laughed again and leaned into Cam. “Alpha, yes, until Caitie comes around. Not an asshole, no. A little rough sometimes, but he’s got a good heart.” *they’re talking about Gio’s new brother-in-law here. You might remember Mark from snippets I posted from Flames of Retribution, and yeah, he can come off that way.
Story a Day – write 7 stories– 7/7 done I was able to work one of the Shed Some Light into the actual WiP. And the two Closing Time ones, you see the mirrors of Cam & Gio’s families. and Held My Heart is actually pre-In the Moonlight, by about 150 years. But, it ties into the current story a bit, too.
- Stained by Ashes –
Finish proofreading, get cover, & format – proofreading is done, cover is (likely) done, just have to format it and get it up there
- Toby & Denise – Write Toby’s back story, start Denise’s back story – made a little more progress on Toby’s back story. Still not finished, though.
- Side Projects – 2000 words – 1429 words/2000. Not so much. I did manage at least 100 words on each of them, though.
- Dance with the Devil – 829 words – Hawk stared at me for a moment then shook his head. “Sometimes you can be such an idiot, Damon. I’ll go get Medusa.”
- Snow White Twist – 112 words – But, she’d hold on to this until it slipped through her fingers.
- Patrick & Sarah – 190 words – But, she’d had a husband. And when he’d died, he’d left her with only grief and two young boys to raise.
- Tavin & Haiwee – 126 words – She was just a little slip of a girl, about half the size of him. How could she think she could protect him, especially from a fall? *Oh, Tavin, you’ve got a lot to learn.
- Roman – “I thought you were his lawyer. You’re supposed to be helping him.”“And I can’t do that by lying for him. There are some indisputable facts. He had a gun. There were several bodies on the ground around him. He had blood on him.”
Read: Writing Active Hooks: Book 1– get to 65% – did manage to do this.
Lord John & The Private Matter(Diana Gabaldon) & Empire of Storms(Sarah J. Maas) – finished Lord John & The Private Matter. Almost 8 hours into Empire of Storms(out of 25).
Finish Summer Court(SM Reine), Dirty Deeds(Megan Erickson), Fire Inside(Kristen Ashley), Fall Deep(Zoe York),Always on My Mind(Bella Andre), Hot Property(Carly Phillips), A Geek Girl’s Guide to Murder(Julie Anne Lindsey) – I finished Summer Court, Dirty Deeds, added in Loving You Easy & finished it in a day, Fire Inside(had quite a few problems with this one, particularly the alpha asshole lead – which may have led to that line in Closing Time), and Fall Deep. I’m about 65% through Always on My Mind. Should finish it today and moving the others to next week.
As for my goals for next week:
- Shed Some Light – finish first draft
- Stained by Ashes – format & publish
- Toby & Denise – finish Toby’s back story
- Side projects – add 500 words each to Dance with the Devil & Snow White Twist
- Read: Writing Active Hooks: Book 1 – finish
- Listen: Empire of Storms(probably won’t finish)
- Read: Finish Always on My Mind(Bella Andre), Hot Property(Carly Phillips), A Geek Girl’s Guide to Murder(Julie Anne Lindsey), Blightlore(Krista Walsh), The Darkest Hour(Maya Banks), Grave Touched(Erin Zarro), The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie(Jennifer Ashley), and Mora Happy Than Not(Adam Silvera)