I usually get to this later in the day, but we’re having quite a thunderstorm this morning and have already lost power once. Hoping to get this done before it goes out again(though I think the storm is passing now). Or at least get it started now, so I can keep working on it and post when we have power/internet.
Nine years ago, I was having quite a bit of trouble sleeping. it was hard to get comfortable, and I couldn’t stop thinking. And I was having cramps that I didn’t realize at the time were contractions. At 39 weeks, I had a scheduled induction. We live a good half hour+ from the hospital, and at the time, my husband was still driving over the road, so we were never sure when he’d be home. About this time, we were both getting up and getting ready to head into the hospital. I’ll spare you the whole birth story(though, really, it’s not long). The nurses were all surprised, though, because I smiled through contractions(that I barely felt), until after they broke my water. Then, it went pretty quick. Which also surprised them. They couldn’t believe this was my first baby since it was a rather fast labor.
It’s been a fast and long nine years all at the same time. And each day she seems to become more and more like me. Sometimes, it can be a little scary. But, she has a huge imagination and is my little bookworm. Those things I don’t mind passing on. The tendency to implode when upset, get frustrated easily, and trouble handling social situations not so much(seriously, if it’s possible to clone a personality, she got mine).
I’m cheating a little for this week’s WiPPet Wednesday and bringing you not 1 but 3 snippets. A 3×3 WiPPet for my daughter’s 9th birthday. These all come from the side projects I started in the last week. We’ve got Patrick & Sarah(from Stained series), Tavin & Haiwee(from Stained by Ashes), and Roman(from Shed Some Light).
First, the beginning of Patrick & Sarah’s story. Didn’t realize it was William who first brought them together. And if you’ve read Stained Snow, you’ll understand the significance of what William says(he’s about 3 at this point). 3 paragraphs
The boy looked up at him, eyes wide in his small face. His mouth fell open, but no words came out as he kept staring up at Patrick. “Were you hurt?” The boy shook his head, but he still didn’t say a word.
“William!” a woman screeched, and Patrick turned his head that way.
The boy hunched his shoulders, drawing Patrick’s attention back to him. “I wasn’t s’posed to leave,” he said quietly. “But, Tommy was mean.”
And from Tavin and Haiwee’s story. Also, if you’ve read Stained Snow, you may remember Adam(or if you’ve read any of the snippets from Stained by Ashes I’ve shared for my Teaser Tuesday posts). These are his parents. 3 lines(at least in the Word document)
He brought his rifle up to his shoulder and took aim. But, the large brown eyes looking back at him didn’t belong to a doe. He kept his rifle where it was. In fact, he didn’t think a single part of him moved, even his lungs couldn’t seem to bring in or let out any air.
And from Roman’s. This is the one that’s really taken off on me. I already have over 600 words on it, not bad for what’s supposed to be a “side” project. That’s almost what the other two are combined. 3 paragraphs. This is from shortly before he’ll meet Tereza.
“You look awful, Pella. You need to go home early?”
Roman glanced up at his boss and shook his head. “Out of personal days. And I’m not sick. I can get through. You got something for me?”
He didn’t like being short with his boss, who had been very sympathetic and accommodating with everything he and Cristine had been going through. But, he didn’t want to talk about it. Not right now when the reality was weighing him down so much.
This was only 180 words into the story, and I was already feeling bad for him. I’m so mean sometimes. 😉
So, those are some of the projects I’ve been playing around with(as well as my main projects and editing of course). As for the rest of my progress this week:
- Write 5000 words between 5 projects – 2381 words so far. I’ve been picking a project at random and working on it until the end of a mywritclub.com sprint(25 minutes each) then picking another one(though sometimes my random number generator picks the same one 2x in a row) until 6 in the morning(I usually start between 4-5). Then, chores before I move on to editing. I’ll probably continue this when school starts, too. (I’ve decided to share last/favorite lines on Wednesdays, too – these ones are actually all last lines.)
- Protecting the Heart – 285 words – “I do. I just don’t want to see you die in their place.”
- Closing Time – 886 words – Gio knew he shouldn’t feel any sympathy for Cam. Not after what he’d just admitted.
- Break on Me – 648 words – His leg started to bounce, and Lora set her hand on it again. That took his thoughts well away from the meeting. And what they could be doing if they were alone together.
- In the Moonlight – 562 words – Well, that wasn’t much help to me.
Stained by Ashes – finish revising through Chapter 16– I got this finished yesterday. I’ve added 232 words to this since I started these revisions.
- Healing the Heart – Start rewrites – I’ll be starting this today and working on it until it’s done or I get more chapters of SbA back.
- Guarding the Heart – layer in world building details – nothing yet
- Defending the Heart – finish Xavier’s back story, start Piers’ if I have time. – making progress on Xavier’s story. Finally got him out of the Marines(at Sunday’s check-in, he was still in high school, so I got through 13+ years faster than the first 17). I should have his finished before the end of the week, though.
Side Projects – add 2000 words– 2713 words. I started something similar with these as I’m doing with my main projects. only I have all of these open and write at least a paragraph before jumping to the next. And working on these from when I finish everything else(except maybe my reading) until dinner time. I wrote over 1800 words between them yesterday doing that. I’ll be posting last lines for these, too.
- Dance with the Devil – 1236 words – “Gavin.” He pressed me back against the wall, his mouth going to my throat then sliding down to my collarbone. *yeah, things are getting hot between these two. Not sure how far it will go for now, though.
- Snow White Twist(really need to come up w/ an actual title for this one) – 409 words – Well, maybe a little because she’d shot an arrow at Ewan. But, could she really blame the girl? Her relationship with her brother was all kinds of messed up.
- Patrick & Sarah – 301 words – The woman reached them, and her gaze took in Patrick quickly, and he saw her swallow hard, her hands trembling slightly as she grabbed the boy’s arm. “Come here, William,” she said sharply. “I told you not to leave the house.”
- Tavin & Haiwee – 176 words – Her deerskin dress was what he’d mistaken for the animal he’d been tracking. Now that he saw it more clearly, he couldn’t believe he’d made that error.
- Roman – 489 words – “Fifteen. She’s terrified Roman. And I think you’re the best one to speak to her. You always have a gentle touch with those who need it.”
- Read: Writing Vivid Characters – 50% – I’m at about 35% now.
A Court of Mist and Fury(Sarah J Maas)& Wrong Place, Right Time(Elle Casey) – I finished A Court of Mist and Fury Monday and LOVED it, but that ending…Gah! I need more! I’m more than halfway through Wrong Place, Right Time. Not liking it as much as the first, but still enjoying it.
Savor the Danger(Lori Foster), Something Sparked(Mari Carr),My Kind of Wonderful(Jill Shalvis), Bay of Sighs(Nora Roberts), The Old Creek Bridge(Sarah Kettles), & Virtually Yours(various) – finished Savor the Danger and Something Sparked yesterday. Liked both of them. Just started My Kind of Wonderful this morning.