I am so not a social person. Unfortunately, sometimes I have to go out there anyway. This weekend our town had its annual festival, The Gathering at French Creek. Friday night they had fireworks. I would have preferred to stay home, but husband had mentioned it to the boy, so I knew he’d be disappointed if we didn’t go. So, we got some food there then walked around some tents for different crafts and businesses. Then, went up to the elementary school(it’s set up near the high school), and kids played on the playground while I read on my phone. We avoided some of the crush at least, until we headed back down to wait for the fireworks to start.
Not sure if I’ve mentioned it before, but I’m really not a huge fan of fireworks. I used to love them, but I just can’t drum up the interest for them. And at the festival, we were so close, I could feel the vibrations from them. Which ratchets up my anxiety. It was worse last year, when we were sitting on a blanket on the ground. This year we had our chairs, but I was still tense throughout it(and I don’t know why this triggers my anxiety so bad). Also, it started lightning just before the fireworks started(they actually started them early b/c of the storm). and it started pouring in the middle of it. Kids still didn’t want to go to the truck and watch from there. So, we were soaked by the time I finally convinced them to watch the rest from the truck. Then, we just had to wait for husband(he was down with the firetrucks in case there were any problems.
Yesterday we had the graduation party for the daughter of friends in the group we ride motorcycles with. So we were at that most of the afternoon. It was held in a social hall for one of the local fire departments, and they had a DJ. The music was too loud(at least for me), and while there weren’t really *too* many people, it felt like there was. I was so tempted to just go and sit in the truck because I just felt almost like something was trying to claw its way out of my chest. It’s exhausting to try to fight off an anxiety attack for over twenty-four hours.
And then there was the after party to the graduation party. We went back to their house and set up chairs outside. It started raining while we were setting up our Easy-Up canopies. Once they were up, it stopped raining. That was a lot better, I think because there were less people and it wasn’t nearly as loud. And there was strawberries and cream moonshine(I only had a little bit and I still felt a little light-headed when we were leaving).
This morning, when the kids finally woke up(they slept until almost 8(the boy) and 8:30(the girl)–that’s pretty much unheard of for them– we went to Burger King for breakfast and then got groceries. Had to get the boy his third pair of flip flops this summer. The puppy has destroyed one from the other two pairs. He doesn’t seem to go after any but those flip flops(he’ll get other shoes but hasn’t really chewed them). We also got them rain coats, since we could actually find them(never seem to be able to when we’re actually looking for them, though.
And now for how the week has gone, as far as my goals:
- Write 24850 words between 5 projects – 18415/24850 words. I’d had about 10k set for the week for Protecting the Heart, but that looked a little overwhelming to me. So, I stretched the deadline out to the end of September instead of July, which brought the total down for the month. I ended up doing the same for Shed Some Light(which only added about 2 weeks to the deadline) and Closing Time(though I’ll probably finish it earlier than that).
- Closing Time – 6733 words – “It still doesn’t excuse what he did.””No, I know. It doesn’t mean he’s unforgivable, though.”
- In the Moonlight – 2189 words – I’d never heard someone speak so plainly about this. I’d basically been told all my life that I should hide these urges. And yet, Yasmin just went and put a name right to it. Like it was perfectly normal to talk about.
- Break on Me – 2232 words – “Shit. I don’t even know if she wants me.””She’d be stupid not to,” Erik muttered.
- Shed Some Light – 4019 words – He reached over and squeezed her hand. “Then, maybe I don’t want to be alone. Please, Reza. Let me come over or come home with me. We’ll just talk.””Well, that’s not much incentive,” she muttered, making him smile.
- Protecting the Heart – 3242 words – “Really, Brannigan? There’s more of you leathernecks?”Casey chuckled, obviously not insulted by the nickname. “That’s right, [xx]. It’s still better than being a squid.” *ah, some Marine/Navy rivalry. Always fun.
Dance with the Devil – get to 6500 words– got to 6645 words – No one talked about Hawk like that. Not in my hearing. *oh, Devil. Getting yourself into some trouble. Snow White Twist – get to 3500 words– She lifted her head and saw Prince Ewan standing stock still near a tree.No. His arm was pinned to the tree. RoW80 Sponsor Post – Draft, Revise, & submit – Have this just about done. Going to do one more quick read through before I submit it. Read: Romancing the Beat – 30%– got to this point. This is actually a fun craft book.
Finish Against the Sky, Serendipity(Carly Phillips), Close Enough to Touch(Victoria Dahl), PS I Still Love You(Jenny Han),Cress(Marissa Meyer), The Girl From Everywhere(Heidi Heilig), and Hearts of Evil(Lauralynn Elliot) – I’m behind on this. I’d be further if I hadn’t gotten sidetracked with the story I was handwriting on Monday. Plus all the socializing this weekend. I enjoyed Close Enough to Touch, and PS I Still Love You(though the ending kind of disappointed me. I would have made a different choice, but it was still good). I’m about 40% through Cress. Hoping to finish reading it today. I also finished listening to Ice Like Fire(Sara Raasch) and still all I can say is GAH!(which is actually a good response) and started Fool for Love(Marie Force). Having some of the same issues with it I did with the first book, but sticking with it for now.
Would have liked to have more blue, but it was still a pretty good week. Now, looking forward to next week:
- Write 14500 words between 5 projects
- Stained by Ashes – compile beta notes for chapters 9 &10(more if I get them back during the week)
- Dance with the Devil – write 935 words
- Snow White Twist – write 995 words
- Come Back Down – continue read through(currently through ch 6)
- RoW80 Sponsor Post – Submit
- Read: Romancing the Beat – get to 55%
- Listen: Fool for Love(Marie Force)
- Read: Finish Cress, The Girl From Everywhere(Heidi Heilig), Hearts of Evil(Lauralynn Elliot), Inked(Eric Smith), Love Tussles and Takedowns(Violet Duke), His Trouble in Tallulah(Cathryn Fox), Taking Chances(S.J. Maylee), & Tough Love(Lori Foster)