I think today’s blog title says it all, don’t you? Blah. Since Sunday night, really. Head started hurting, throat was getting all scratchy. Said, “eh, it’ll go away”(ok, I only said it in my head, but still). Didn’t sleep well because throat was hurting worse and couldn’t breathe through nose. Head hurting bad when I woke up. So, broke down and took Sudafed(I hate taking *anything* for anything unless it’s absolutely necessary). Probably going out on the motorcycle with my husband on Monday didn’t help(Hello, wind!), but it was still good to get out. By Monday night, the sore throat was gone thankfully, though pressure and congestion have remained. Which has been affecting my focus. It keeps getting better, but it’s time for my allergies to act up, which I imagine is not helping.
I finished the Story a Day challenge yesterday. Actually managed to write a story for every day. Yes, I’m pretty impressed with myself. Last year I managed 30/31 stories, which wasn’t too shabby, either. A lot of this year’s I managed to work into my WiPs, which was nice. If there’s another one in September like last year(which I didn’t participate in then), I’ll be doing that as well. In act, I’m thinking of setting the challenge months(April, May, June, July, September?, & November) as my writing months and focusing on editing the other months. I’ve tried this before and it didn’t work out so well, but going to give it another try. By the time I’ve been getting to my editing, it’s afternoon and I just don’t feel like doing anything. I’ll still slip some editing in during the writing months(and probably some writing during editing months, though that might be on side projects), mostly on stuff I get back from CP/betas.
I’m working on Carlos & Tereza’s story again today since I adjusted my schedule slightly. This one may be falling in the middle of the week for the foreseeable future(since I’m going based on percentage finished for now), so you get some more from that for this week’s WiPPet Wednesday. Today I have 7 paragraphs(6+1) from Carlos. Also, you might recognize these other guys from Chasing the Ghost or the few snippets I shared from their own story, My Way to You.
He sighed and rubbed the back of his hand over his eyes. Obsessing about it wasn’t going to get him anywhere. Tereza was doing what she could for Brent, and that was all Carlos could ask for. The preliminary hearing was coming up soon. They’d have to wait for that to see if the case continued or not. He could tell from what Tereza said the night before, and what she hadn’t–mainly no “don’t worry, they don’t have a case”–, that she was pretty sure there was no stopping it. But, he still trusted her to do whatever she could.
Carlos grabbed the dish of salsa chicken and Spanish rice he’d made up earlier and took it out to the dining room to a table in the corner. There were only a couple occupied tables, still a little early for most dinner customers to start coming in. But, he took in those few occupants as he brought the first bite to his mouth. And he nearly choked on that bite when he recognized the two men sitting at one of the tables. And the fact there was a baby carrier nestled in one of the mesh slings the restaurant kept on hand for that purpose.
He immediately picked up his plate and carried it with him to the table. “Mind if I join you gentlemen, or is this a private meal?”
Both Bryan and Leo glanced up at him, and Leo grinned widely. “Feel free, Carlos,” he said. “I never mind a handsome man joining me.”
“Excuse me,” Bryan said, glancing at his husband. “You know I’m sitting right here, don’t you?”
Leo’s grin widened, but he leaned over to press a kiss to the corner of Bryan’s mouth. “Another handsome man,” he amended. “You can never have too many.”
Carlos chuckled as he took the free seat at the table. Bryan might act jealous and affronted, but you could still feel the love between the two men. That was good. They’d been through too much together to let insecurity throw them off their balance. “This is a new development,” he said, gesturing toward the infant carrier. “I just saw you last week. You didn’t mention anything about having a baby.”
I didn’t plan on this baby making an appearance until I wrote Baby on Your Porch for one of the Story a Day prompts(which was to rip something from the headlines, and when I read that one, it just felt right). And then because of something at the end of My Way to You, I went “That’s it!” I love having those moments when things tie together.
Things are coming along with this story, though they aren’t looking too good for Carlos’ brother at the moment. As for the rest of my goals:
- Write/edit 20 hours for the week – 7 hours so far and written 5380 words so far.
- In the Moonlight – 1507 words
- Break on Me – 1944 words
- Shed Some Light(formerly known as: Carlos & Tereza) – 1929 words so far. Hoping to get more in today, though.
- Stained by Ashes – moved notes for Chapter 3 into the master file.
- Dance with the Devil – get to 2500 words – no progress
- Goin Down – get to 2000 words – no progress
- Snow White Twist – get to 1750 words – no progress
Read: Storyworld First – 100%. Choose next craft/research book.Read 15% of it – Finished Storyworld First. Chose Description(Elements of Fiction Writing). Haven’t started it yet. Read: Finish Sworn(Kate Sparkes) & Faking Perfect(Rebecca Phillips). Decide on June’s books: Stars of Fortune(Nora Roberts), Fast, Fresh, & Hot(Eliza Madison), Brokedown Cowboy(Maisey Yates), Night Terror(Stacy Green), & The Countess Conspiracy(Courtney Milan) – finished Sworn(loved it!! Even when it shattered my heart) & Faking Perfect(enjoyed it). Started Stars of Fortune last night. Finally! I’ve only had it since just before Christmas. Story a Day – Finish last 2 stories– Finished these!! Got 31 stories written in 31 days.
Now, to look back on the past month and see how I did.
- Protecting the Heart – get to 29000 words – only got up to 24425 words.
- Ready When You Are – get to 42000 words – only got up to 35978 words.
- Paint Me a Picture – get to 30000 words – only got to 26259 words
- Carlos & Tereza – get to 23000 words
(also find a title)– Only at 21377 as of right now, but did finally decide on a title. Break on Me – get to 12000 words– got to 12817 words. Woohoo!
- In the Moonlight – get to 12000 words – Only got to 10411 words.
- Dance with the Devil – get to 2000 words – got to 2213 words
- Goin’ Down – get to 1750 words – only got to 1705 words
- Snow White Twist – get to 1500 words – only got to 1412 words
I fell short on most of these, but did manage to write 64818 words in May(which includes the Story a Day pieces as well). So, I still made some good progress.
- Stained by Ashes – Beta edits once I get them back(may not be this month. Depends) – have 3 chapters back from 2nd beta reader. Adding notes to master file as I get them back.
- Healing the Heart – CP edits & send to betas once it’s ready(still looking for those if anyone wants to read the follow-up to Duty to Protect) – waiting for email back from CP about some questions
Guarding the Heart – Fill in Details & possibly start 1st round of revisions– Filled in details and finished pre-revision tasks. Setting aside for now.
Story a Day – Write 31 stories. I’ll be using these to get into each day’s writing. Except for on the weekends, then it’s up for grabs what it’ll be about. RoW80 – Post twice a week; keep up with sponsor duties
Listen: Already passed this round’s goal, but I have 5 books in my library now(and will get another credit near the end of the month), so I plan to listen to those. – just finished The Raven King yesterday(OMG, loved it), which brought me up to 7 audiobooks for the month) Read: 26 books– I just reached this yesterday. I’d hoped to get a couple more in, but that didn’t happen. Read: Storyworld First– finished this yesterday as well.
Knit: Entwined Fingerless Gloves Crochet: Owl Granny Square Loom: 2 Way Headband
A lot of blue and green for the month and hardly any red. Looking forward to next month:
- Protecting the Heart – get to 40000 words
- Ready When You Are – get to 50ooo words
- Paint Me a Picture – finish 1st draft
- Shed Some Light – get to 35000 words
- Break on Me – get to 30000 words
- In the Moonlight – get to 25000 words
- Dance with the Devil – get to 4500 words
- Goin’ Down – get to 4000 words(or finish)
- Snow White Twist – get to 3500 words
- Work on stuff as I get it back from readers
- Start read through of Come Back Down & revise
- Revise Midas’ Daughter & consider submitting
- Maintain regular posting schedule(Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun) & stay caught up with blog hops
- RoW80 – Post twice a week; stay current with sponsor duties
- Listen: 7 audiobooks currently in Audible library
- Read: 26 books
- Read: Description(Elements of Writing Fiction)
Like I said Sunday(I think), I’m cutting my crafting goal out for the summer months. Too hot to deal with yarn. I’ll probably pick it back up in September, though(possibly October).