I’m doing pretty good with staying on track with my goals. Doing 3 #Write20 sessions in the morning and using the same method for my plotting is going pretty well. I don’t always get a lot of words, but I’m making good forward progress.
Before I get to all of that, it’s Wednesday again! You all know what that means! World domination time! Oh, wait, that’s not it(and I have no idea what my thing with world domination is today). But, it is time for WiPPeT Wednesday! Even better than world domination. As promised, I’m continuing with the scene I shared last week. This week, I have 21 paragraphs(2+10+2+0+1+6) picking up at the end of the last snippet.
Erik stepped unsteadily around his father, and Kendall saw him wince as he moved forward. He must still be adjusting to the new prosthetic leg. “I know all about promises, Dad. And honor and integrity. I don’t need lessons on it from you.” He looked over at Kendall, and his lips tipped up a little. “Do you know when the car is going to be ready? Doren said you guys could modify some things so it would be easier for me to drive. It will be nice not to have to rely on family to get around.”
“Doren’s out of commission right now,” she told him, “but I can check and see how far he’s gotten on it for you.”
“Thanks, Ken.” He glanced back over his shoulder. His father had stepped back outside, and Erik seemed to relax a little. “He’s tired of having to drive me around. Sorry he’s taking it out on you.”
Kendall knew it wasn’t only that, but she wasn’t going to badmouth a father to his son. “It’s fine, Erik. Really. It’s just already been a crap day.”
“How’s Doren doing? Heard about his surgery.”
“He should be in with the doctor now for his follow-up,” she told him as she started thumbing through files, looking for the one they had on his car. “Depending on how that goes, we’ll know what the next step is.”
She pulled the file out and noticed Erik glance over his shoulder again. Why did he seem to be so nervous around his father? From what she remembered from high school, he’d been nearly a carbon copy of the older man. And not just in looks. Racist, sexist. Homophobic. She’d avoided him, particularly for that last.
“I screwed up the schedule for today,” she said, “so things have been a little crazy.”
“You screw something up? Doesn’t sound like you. Hell, even those in my class wanted your help with organizing their notes.”
She let out a short huff of breath. “I was…distracted.” She’d been thinking about Susan. Wondering how her date with Chris had gone. If she’d gone home with him.
He leaned a little closer. She wondered if his leg was bothering him, if he wanted to get off it. “You can sit. I’ll bring the file over to you.”
He shook his head. “Doc says I have to get used it.” He studied her as she flipped through the file. “When are you going to ask that girl out?”
She drew in a quick breath, looking up at him. “What…what are you talking about?”
His lips were just slightly curved up, but his eyes looked serious. “Come on, Ken. You know what, and who, I’m talking about. It’s probably the worst best kept secret in town. And I know how living in secret can destroy you.”
Her face warmed, but he just laughed then reached out to cover her hand with his. “Ask her out, Ken.”
She shook her head. “Sue’s not like that. She’s not like me. She went out with Chris Saranno Friday night.”
He shrugged a shoulder. “Doesn’t mean anything. She could be bi, or just hiding it.” The bell at the door jingled, but she couldn’t look away from Erik. There was something there, but it couldn’t be what she was thinking. “Really, you should ask her out.”
“You need to stop spreading your sickness around, boy,” Erik’s father said from the doorway. “I thought you’d gotten over that vileness.”
Erik’s face paled at his father’s words, but he turned slowly and straightened his shoulders. “Sorry, Dad. The Army didn’t drill the gay out of me like you’d hoped. And I’m tired of pretending it did for you.”
Kendall could only blink at him. Erik was gay? She’d never seen that one coming. “You made me a promise,” his father was saying. “You break it, and you won’t be welcome back in my house.”
“I haven’t been welcome in your house for a long time, Dad. I’m used to it.”
Oh, small towns, where secrets aren’t so secret. And, yes, Erik’s dad really is an asshole. I’ll have more, probably from the next scene, next week.
As for my RoW80 progress:
- Ready When You Are – write 20 minutes a day/add 2000 words – done for 3 days. I’ve added 1500 words so far. So, on tract to meet this.
- Love Who You Love – write 20 minutes a day/add 2000 words – done for 3 days. I’ve added 913 words on this. Not as much as I wanted, but spent most of Monday’s 20 minutes doing research on those modifications Erik needed done to the car.
- By the Gun – write 20 minutes a day/add 2000 words – done for 3 days. I’ve added 1147 words to this one.
- Protecting the Heart – write Declan’s back story, start Eva’s if time – I’ve written a little over half a page of Declan’s back story. I did mention in Guarding the Heart, that he’s the most talkative of the group. I can already see that playing out in this back story(in other words, it’s probably going to be long).
- Rylan & Kirsten – write Rylan’s back story, start Kirsten’s if time – I’ve got a little over a page of Rylan’s back story written.
- Stained by Ashes – finish CP edits – Read through for places where I need to add in setting detail. Setting it aside until I get Stained Snow polished and ready to go.
- Stained Snow – Polish – haven’t gotten to this yet this week. I will be later today, though.
My Way to You – Read Through– haven’t gotten to this yet this week either. It will be set aside until I finish the two Stained books.
- Come Back Down – write 40 minutes/add 1000 words – weekend project
- Read: She Sat He Stood – 50% – I’m at 40%. So, on track.
- Read: Far From You(Tess Sharpe), Wicked Ties(Shayla Black), Free Agent(Mari Carr), Love Ever After(various), At Last(Jill Shalvis), Dangerously Bound(Eden Bradley), Sins of the Warrior(Linda Poitevin), & Double Play(Jill Shalvis) – I finished Far From You(loved it), Wicked Ties(really enjoyed this one), and Free Agent(really liked it, too). I also read the Love Ever After bundle. Well, I actually only read one of them. Most were a part of series I haven’t read yet(or aren’t to the point where that one falls), and I hate reading series out of order. I’ll be starting At Last later today.
- Read through CP’s MS(adding this one, since I didn’t get it from her until Monday night) – I’m almost halfway through this already and loving it.
- Knit: Zig Zag Ribbed Scarf(this somehow got left off Sunday’s list) – making good progress on this. I might even have it finished this week.