On Wednesday, I had been falling behind on some of my goals. By Friday night, I was caught up on almost all of it. Part of the problem was the read through I was doing on Stained by Ashes. I was trying to get through 25% a day(reading it on my kindle), and it was taking me longer than I figured. Plus, my kindle was starting to act up. Taking forever to bring up the menu when a selected a word or phrase, being very delayed in turning pages. It really only did this on documents. And it was killing my battery. I usually only have to charge it once a week, even with leaving the wi-fi turned on all the time(can go a couple weeks if I turn it off). I had to charge it two nights in a row this past week. Then, I was about 94% through the document & it restarted on me. Everything I had highlighted that day got wiped out. So, I had to go back through and do the last 25%-ish over again. But, it started working better then.
Last night was our fire department’s annual awards banquet. My MIL came over to watch the kids. We had dinner(ox roast, ham, mashed potatoes, corn) that my husband, the fire chief, and one or 2 other members made. Used to have it catered until the department decided to start saving money. Then, they did the awards. It was a short one this year. And a little sad to see how few people stood up when they went through the years of service(they call for those with 0-5 years, then 5-10 and so on). A lot less people are volunteering these days. And around here, we depend on the volunteer departments. The city has a paid department and some of the bigger towns, but all the small towns in between depend on their volunteers.
After the awards were over, we had the after party. The DJ got set up and people started drinking and dancing. I’m not a big drinker(or dancer), so the wine coolers my husband bought will probably last most of the next year(we actually still had some from last year). I had 2 of them last night and a little cup of raspberry wine that someone else brought. My head is hurting a bit this morning.
Today we are going down to my sister’s. Both kids and I will be getting our hair cut. Mine hasn’t been cut in almost 18 months, and that was when I took the scissors to it myself because I was fed up with it. I’ve never been pleased with hair cuts except for when my grandma and sister have done it. Not planning to go really short(too many of those hair cuts in the past where I was mistaken for a boy), but I’m tired of long hair. My dad’s also planning on being there tomorrow, so we’ll get to see him again. That will be 3-4 times in just over 3 months. Might just be a record.
Flames of Recompense – get to 69000 words– yes. 69,220 words actually. The last(and rather steamy) scene was rolling right along, so I kept going. I’m heading right for the end. Shouldn’t have any problem finishing by the end of the month. Stained by Ashes – Fragment Fix round– this is done too. I cut another 101 words just going through these fixes. It wasn’t just fragments, but also phrases/sentences I realized weren’t necessary or connecting short sentences that had made it choppy. Also checking and fixing a couple details. I’m going to be going through it again with the exercises from the dialogue book I’ve been reading. Then, just need to polish it up and it will be ready for my CP(or whenever she’s ready for it). Western Hearts – Finish plotting– this is done and ready to go on the drafting list(though I likely won’t get to it for awhile). Take Me Under – Revise– I revised it yesterday morning and added 485 words to it. Printed it out so I could read through again. Then, added another 127 words. It’s just over 3000 words now.
- Beta Read – Making progress with this. I’d probably get through it fast if I didn’t try to do so much at once because I am enjoying the story. I’m hoping to have it finished and back to her by next weekend.
Dare to Surrender(Carly Phillips), Back to You(Jessica Scott), Anna and the French Kiss(Stephanie Perkins), Hope for Her(Sydney Aaliyah Michelle),and Spellcaster(Claudia Gray) – I really enjoyed Anna and the French Kiss. I have mixed feelings about Hope for Her. I’m about 15% through Spellcaster, enjoying it so far but no strong feelings. I also finished listening to I’ll Give You the Sun(Jandy Nelson) yesterday. It was such an emotional rollercoaster ride. I’m not sure I’ve ever alternated between laughing and crying so much, often times within minutes of each other. There may have been tears at the end too(happy ones though). Read: Dialogue(A Busy Writer’s Guide) – 75%– yes. I should finish it this week Crochet – Amigurumi Bunny Basket– I did finish this, although it didn’t turn out all the great. It doesn’t stand up like the one in the picture for the pattern shows, just kind of flops over(for the picture, I set a little bowl inside it to give it some shape)
- Knit: Bunny Hat – I was going to start this yesterday, but realized I don’t have the yarn I need for it. Or for any of the other projects on my list.
We don’t even have a full week left for this round, but I’m going to list my goals for the end of the round and through the end of the week. It’s just easier for me that way, and I imagine I’ll still post during the break.
- Flames of Recompense – 81000 words by end of round(84000 by end of the week)…or until it is finished.
- Stained by Ashes – Dialogue exercises – Should have 6/8 done by the end of the round
- By the Gun – Brainstorm(4/5 mind maps done by end of round)
- Into the Sun(new short story) – write at least 1 page(this will be next weekend’s, so nothing by end of round)
- Beta Read – hoping for 75% by end of round, finished by end of week. I also got the latest version of my CP’s manuscript. I read it last summer, but she made a lot of changes and wants me to read through it again. And I am happy too.
- Read: Spellcaster, Death Rejoices(A.J. Aalto), Midnight Kiss(Sarra Cannon, Juliana Haygert, Alyssa Rose Ivy, & Jennifer Snyder), Sweet Perdition(Cynthia Rayne), Deliver Me(Kate Jarvik Birch), & A Hero for Holly(Kristy K James)
- Read: Dialogue(A Busy Writer’s Guide) – Finish
- Knit: Bunny Hat
- Crochet: Easter Basket(if I get to this, it probably won’t be before the end of the round)