February may be the shortest month of the year, but I still feel like I got a good bit done(even if I did change my goals more than once). I’ll get to that in a little bit.
Yesterday, I spent a good chunk of the afternoon shoveling snow. We had so much snow and ice on our roof that our front door didn’t want to close. Not a good sign. So, my husband climbed up on the roof and started shoveling the snow off. I was down below, moving it all off the sidewalk/porch. Though I shouldn’t say all. I ended up just making a path through so we could get to the door. It still took about 3 hours to get it all done. My back and shoulders are definitely feeling it today. I figure I’ll take some time each day this week to move more of it of the sidewalk and open the path up a bit more. It’s supposed to be warmer all week too, so that may help melt some of it.
Flames of Recompense – add 15k words– did this. It’s sitting at just over 24k right now. The Choice – Fix fragments & polish.Send to beta readers if I can finish this & get them lined up. – got this all cleaned up. Still need to find beta readers. If you’re interested, I wrote up a quick summary Friday. Buried Secrets – Outline– this is outlined. It will be first on 2016’s ‘to-draft’ list. Yeah, that’s how far out my plotting is. Too many ideas, not enough time. Take Me Under(short story) – finish first draft –just finished this morning. It’s sitting at just under 2500 words. Planning to start revisions next weekend and may end up adding more words then. Read: Queen of the Tearling, The Vampire Exclusive(Julie Glover), & Marine for Hire(Tawna Fenske)– Read and enjoyed all of these. Also read: Nights with Him(Lauren Blakely), Ill-Times Entanglements(Kassandra Lamb), & Come a Little Bit Closer(Bella Andre). Loved these too. Read: Writing Fight Scenes –Finished this.
- Knit: Faux Crochet Stole – Finish – this is the only thing I didn’t finish, so I’ll be moving it to March’s list.
The Choice – work through revisions per CP’s notes& send to beta readers
- Stained by Ashes – work through my 2nd round revision notes & send to CP
- Gilbert, Co #3 – first read through(if have time)
Outline: Brann’s Story(Flames 5.5)& Denise’s Story(Gilbert, CO #5) through character work
I did not get much from this list done. However, I did write over 43k words. 2300 of that was revisions for The Choice. Just over 24k was on Flames of Recompense. 4800 was in plotting. And over 12k was on short stories. I also finished outlining a stand alone novel(hopefully. A lot of my series have started this way).
Read 21 books– 24/21 Listen: Don’t Judge a Girl By Her Cover(Ally Carter)– this and The Selection(Kiera Cass) & Lick(Kylie Scott). Also about halfway through Snow Like Ashes(Sara Raasch) Read: A Lawyer’s Primer for Writers(Shaun Kaufman & Colleen Collins)– finished this and Writing Fight Scenes(Rayne Hall)
- Knit: Baby Doll Dress, Cap with Little Beaded Flowers, & Faux Crochet Stole – finished 2 of these. Still working through the Stole though.
Crochet: Love is Cold Ear Warmer & Broomstick Lace Hat– finished both of these.
I didn’t do everything that I’d originally had planned, but I did still make a good bit of progress, especially once I settled back into my normal way of doing things. There’s something to be said for mixing things up, but sometimes you just have to stick with what works for you.
For next month:
- Flames of Recompense – finish first draft
- The Choice – Send to Betas
- Healing the Heart – Read through for fragments before sending to CP
- Stained by Ashes – Finish Second round of revisions & possibly send to CP
- Take Me Under – Revise
- Western Hearts – Outline
- By the Gun – Brainstorm
Note: These are both old ideas, one I only started years ago and the other I wrote a probably crappy first draft. I don’t actually have those drafts, so I’ll be starting these from scratch.
- Listen: Snow Like Ashes
- Read: 21 books
- Read: Dialogue- A Busy Writer’s Guide(Marcy Kennedy)
- Knitting: Faux Crochet Stole, Bunny Hat, Simple Cable Scarf, & Schooner Hat
- Crochet: Bunny Basket, Chocolate Bunny, Easter Basket
We’ll see if I actually stick to this month’s plan. For this week, my goals are:
- Flames of Recompense – get to 39000 words
- Healing the Heart – Fix Fragments
- Western Hearts – Brainstorming
- Take Me Under – Revise
- Read: Oaths of Blood(S.M. Reine), Unmasked Alloy(Becca J Campbell), Pulled(Becca J. Campbell), If I Stay(Tamara Morgan), & Tell Me When(Stina Lindenblatt)
- Read – Dialogue(A Busy Writer’s Guide) – 25%
- Knit: Faux Crochet Stole