Both of my kids started back to school yesterday. The boy is going to a preschool program in town. It’s not through the school, but the building is right across from the elementary school. They even provide breakfast and lunch. He had a good first day. They send home a little note every day with what they did and even what they ate. True to form, he ate all of his breakfast and lunch, and even had seconds of a few things. The girl didn’t tell me too much about her day, except that one of her friends from last year is in her class, a little boy that she usually ate lunch with last year. They were both excited to go back today(so was I since for the hour they were awake, they were constantly fighting).
For today’s WiPPet, I’m sharing the beginning of the next scene, which switches into Mark’s POV. This is the first 9 paragraphs(2+7).
Mark thought his head was going to explode. He’d expected he’d probably see Caitie around again. At some point. But, not like this. Never like this. She was a goddamn cop? This was almost more than he could take. He turned on her when they were outside. “What the hell, Caitie?”
“You know that’s the third time you’ve said that tonight, Mark. Are you having memory problems?”
“No, I’m not fucking having memory problems. I remember every word that’s passed between us. Never once did you say you were a fucking cop.”
“I didn’t think you were all that concerned about my occupation the other night. I’m not a different person just because I’m wearing this uniform.”
Maybe he had been hit in the head. He felt like his brain was scrambled. He couldn’t even grab on to any words. He could feel the anger reach up and grab him by the throat. “You-God, Caitie. How can you put yourself into a position like this?” Okay, he could find words. Not the right ones, but they were words.
“Like what, Mark? I’m not putting myself into any kind of position.” She took a step closer to him. “I’m a cop. That’s my job.”
“And it’s a job that could get you fucking killed,” he cried. Then, he cringed. He hadn’t meant to lose it. And he realized it wasn’t just anger he felt. There was fear buried in there too. He saw Erin laughing as she’d swung up into the truck. Then, the blast when the IED had gone off. And then Caitie’s face above him the other night. He couldn’t deal with this. Not again. “Not fucking again,” he muttered.
“What’s the matter?” He kept his eyes closed, but he could feel her hand press against his chest. “Mark, will you look at me?”
He couldn’t though. He was afraid everything would shatter if he opened his eyes. “Damn it, Mark.” Some of the calm she’d shown started to slip. “I’m not the only one with a dangerous job. You run into burning buildings. Don’t you think anyone ever worries you won’t come back out?”
I haven’t been sticking with my working 6 hours a day plan. Instead I set up goals and work until I reach them. It hasn’t taken me even 5 hours a day to do that. I think I may end up raising those goals next week(other than the side projects. I’ll be keeping those at 1 page a day)
- Flames of Retribution – At least 10k words – I’ve written 6070 so far this week. Should be able to hit this goal by Friday.
- Healing the Heart – get through Chapter 25. – I finished Ch 24 and 1/3 scenes of Ch 25.
East of Abilene – finish replotting
- Green Hills & Smoky Fields – brainstorm(this is a historical that I wrote years ago. But, I want to start basically from scratch) – brainstorming characters right now. have had a few different ideas on where to take the story. Thinking it won’t look a whole lot like the original, which is probably a good thing since I wrote that when I was about 15/16. These characters have stuck in my head though.
- Law of Choice – 5 pages – 3/5 pages. about 725 words once I typed everything up(and probably added/changed some words)
- Flames of Justice – 5 pages – 3/5 pages. about 785 words
Knit: Finish Turtle Love Bib– finished this yesterday
- So far this week, I’ve finished reading: The Knight(Monica McCarty), Three Little Words(Lauren Hawkeye), Beauty and the Best Man(Maureen Child), and Weekend with the Tycoon(Kaira Rouda). Also finished listening to Timebound(Rysa Walker) and started Under the Never Sky(Veronica Rossi)
It’s been a really good start to the week.