I realized that I am currently working on three different stories that are all in the same series. I’m editing Flames of Redemption(#1), drafting Flames of Renewal(#2), and plotting Flames of Retribution(#3). This is something that probably won’t happen very often. It probably wouldn’t be now if Mark would leave me alone and not insist I get to his story(which is #3). I’m almost done drafting Renewal and almost done plotting Retribution, so I may be able to start writing it before next week. Renewal is low on the word count. Only have 1 more scene left to write and it’s just over 60k. I do usually add words during the 2nd draft, so I’m sure it will end up longer before anyone else reads it.
Now, before I get to my ROW80 check-in, I have my WiPPet snippet to share. I couldn’t decide on anything to share from Flames of Renewal, so I decided to share a bit from a kind of bonus scene I wrote. It’s from this scene that I shared a couple weeks ago. Only it’s something that James didn’t see happen and could only be told from Mark’s POV. These 2 will be the MCs in the next story. But, Mark’s first impression of Caitie is that she’s a teenager(she’s actually 28). So, he’s rather disturbed by his reaction to her. 32 sentences(7+30-1-4).
The girl’s eyes came up to his, and he was almost knocked over by them. They didn’t look like a teenager’s eyes. Too much heat, too much knowledge. Not nearly enough innocence.
One of the men stepped in front of her, nearly eclipsing his vision of her. “Who are you?”
“Mark Young. I’m with the fire department.” He pushed the glasses up to the top of his head now. “And you?”
“Damn it, Brann,” the girl said, stepping in front of him. “I don’t care if you are my big brother, I’m the one that set this detail up.”
“You did?” Mark asked, although he was still stuck on the big brother part. They didn’t look anything alike. She was tiny and light. He was big and dark.
She turned to him, her eyes like blue fire. “Yes, I did, Mr. Badass Marine. What did you think? A woman couldn’t handle this kind of thing? I’ll have you know,-”
He held up a hand. “What did you call me?” He could barely keep a quiver of laughter from his voice.
“You heard me. That’s what your tattoo means, doesn’t it? Don’t all you Marines think you’re badasses?”
“Caitie,” the man, Brann, groaned behind her.
But, Mark’s lips twitched. “Sure we are. Now, what do you have for me to do?”
Oh, I’m sure I’m going to have fun with these two. 😉
Now, for my RoW80 Check-In:
- Flames of Renewal – Finish 1st draft – so, so close. I have one scene left to go. Was struggling a bit with one earlier today. So just wrote the first thing that came into my head for it, and then the words rolled out from there.
- Flames of Redemption – Finish edits – Close on this one too. 4 more chapters to get through.
- Flames of Retribution – Finish plotting – another close one. I just have to do my scene list and summaries, and I’ll be ready to start writing.
- Rick & Leann – 500 words – 346 words so far.
Because of You(Jessica Scott)& Finding Perfect(Susan Mallery) I enjoyed because of you. And enjoying Finding Perfect, although I think it’s in the middle of a series. It doesn’t effect the story too much really. This was a thrift store find, but I may have to pick up the others in the series.
- Knit: Leaf Lace Washcloth – More than halfway through this. I made a mistake in one of the rows of the pattern repeat and slipped the stitch the wrong way, I think. Didn’t notice it until I had several more rows done. Other than that, it’s looking nice so far.
I should certainly have all of these finished up before the Sunday check-in. Most likely even before the end of the month.