I’ve had a pretty productive first half of the week. I didn’t meet all of my goals for Monday, but by the time I went to bed last night I was all caught up. On Monday, I only planned on working through 3 scenes. I ended up with 6 because I added some in between the others. Only has 2 to work on yesterday. I’ve made even more progress with stuff around the house. Have all but one chore checked off the list for the week and the last load of laundry is in the dryer right now. I like getting this stuff done early in the week since that gives me more time in the second half of the week to focus more on my writing, reading, and crafting.
Last week, I shared the beginning of my rewrite of Stained Snow, my western novella-turned-novel. William and the sheriff were checking out some bodies dumped on William’s ranch. And William was understandably upset about this. Today’s snippet comes just after that.
The sheriff shook his head but didn’t say anything else. They rode for several minutes in complete silence. William was thankful for it. He preferred his ranch to going into town. Between his wife and son and the few hands he hired to work the ranch, he had more than enough company. It almost made him wish he’d buried the bodies and gone about his business. Not even brought the sheriff into it. But, he hadn’t even considered that until they were on their way back out here.
It wouldn’t have been the right thing to do.
He saw the blanket he had staked down over the bodies. He hadn’t been sure it would do any good. But, he didn’t want to just leave them there for the scavengers to get. He hoped the blanket would be a suitable deterrent. He saw some signs of digging around it, but otherwise seemed undisturbed.
“This them?” The sheriff asked, riding up beside him.
“Yeah. Horses were restless last night, but I didn’t ride out till this morning. This may have been what stirred them up.”
“You didn’t hear anything though?”
“My hearing isn’t quite that good, Carl. I was inside. With my family.” Where he wanted to be headed for right now.
“Okay. Just thought maybe you’d heard a scream or a cry for help or something.”
“They weren’t killed here, Carl. That’s what I been trying to tell you.”
“How do you know that?”
“Look at them,” he said and helped unstake the blanket before pulling it back. “There would’ve been a lot of blood when they were killed. There’s almost none.”
Carl looked back down at the ground then ran a hand over his mouth. William knew he was seeing the same thing he had. Then, the older man let out a long, low stream of curses. “They were dumped here.” He looked back up at William. “Why would someone dump a couple bodies just off your ranch, Will?”
He drew in a long breath. He’d already given Carl his theory. “You know why.”
I’m working my way through the new scenes I want to add to this and blending in the old stuff I want to keep. I sent the first 10,000 words to my CP yesterday so I can fix problems and adjust my course before I get mired in it. I used to edit too much as I went. I seem to have swung the other way now and hoping this will put me somewhere in the middle. 🙂
I took some time yesterday to rework my calendar for the rest of the year. I plan to mostly focus on one big project for each month while others are out to CP/beta/editor and working those in as I get them back. This month’s is Stained Snow, with Slow Revenge being worked in as I get the chapters back. Next month, I’m planning to work on revising Flames of Redemption(again) before sending it on to my CP. I’ve had a few ideas the last couple days for things I want to change/add. I’m hoping this new plan will help get some of the first drafts I have sitting around on to the next stages. Rather than adding more first drafts to the list.
- Stained Snow: Write/rewrite 13 scenes – I’ve gotten through 8/13. If I get through all the ones on this week’s list, I’ll have 16 done though.
- Slow Revenge: Edit through Chapter 16(more if I get them back) – finished this yesterday. Haven’t received any more chapters.
- Read: The Archived, Soul Avenged(Keri Lake), and Losing It(Cora Carmack) – Finished The Archived last night(loved it). Started Soul Avenged this morning. Only 4% in, but enjoying it so far.
- Read: How to Write a Dick – Get to 50% – at 47% right now. I’m finding more little nuggets that I think will help the story/character in the later parts. I may have to change a few things to make it work. Otherwise this character might be skirting/breaking some laws. I think I have some more research to do on that.
- Knit: Storybook Baby Hoodie – I have the body finished. Planning on starting the sleeves today, then have to do the hood and sew everything together. Still hoping to have it done this week.
No changes to this week’s goals. I’m pretty much on track with all of them.